Change to how number of views for listings is displayed

Hi, Ebay has changed how the number of views per listing is shown.  Previously it showed a total history for number of views but now it only shows for the last 30 days.  I personally find the number of views for last 30 days almost meaningless.  I would like it to be at least 90 days or even 12 months.  I actually preferred the total views for full time of the listing. 

Yes I can go to see a graph which shows the history BUT I cant get it shown on my active listings summary page which is where it is most user friendly and lets me reduce prices on items which have had many many views.

Apparently the number fo views was being skewed by bot hits but these could have been removed from history and the number reset OR the seller should be allowed to show either 30 day listing or full history on their summary page.  An unneccesary change which is not for the better

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Change to how number of views for listings is displayed

I agree. It would also be useful to be able to sort by this column.  All one can do is to is make a comment every time one of ebay's "tell us what you think" boxes appears. If you compose a paragraph expressing  your disappointment/constructive comment/whatever, and keep a copy on a sticky note, easy to copy and paste to save time. If the survey has several questions a "see above" or copy/paste paragraph also saves time - may not ever achieve anything but strangely satisfying.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I am not so concerned about restricting item views to 30 days. My perception of sales is that most buying decisions are immediate rather than the item being placed on a watch list, with the buyer purchasing later.

The number of views, now, indicate the level of current interest, which is of more importance to me. The number of historical views is interesting but that is all. I have had items attract many hundreds of views without selling. But when I end and relist, usually after three months, a sizeable number sell quickly. That is due, I think, to where the item ranks on the default search, best match, which favours new listings.

BTW, I still have some items with large numbers of recent views, out of proportion compared to other listings. Bots are still working. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

What was the reasoning to change how the views are calculated? Seems to be another way that small sellers will be kept down the search rankings. The numbers make no sense either, I have listed a few items in the last few days that have now gone back to 0 views from having 4 or 5 in the first day. I thought the views were for a 30 day period? 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks twyngwyn but that is not my question. I can understand why some may have watchers and no views but I don't really understand how a new listing that gets say 3 or 4 views in the first few hours or day, suddenly starts to show 0 views the next day? A lot of my new listings were showing a few views each and are now showing 0 when I was under the impression that they reset after 30 days? 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

could it be possible that it isn't for the "past 30 days" but a 30 day count that resets on a certain date? it may be that your items had some views and then the date for the new 30 day count ticked over, which returned them to zero? 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Just another movie from ebay from the "stupid box". Who is advising them on such changes. At the end of the day all we should be interested in is click through rates to sales viewers and more importantly watchers are really just another word for window shoppers...I have 540 of them at the moment!

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I have no idea how many people are watching my listings, nor do I care. I care about sales, not constantly wasting time going through metrics to try to find a magic wormhole.

If they sell, they sell. If they don't they don't. I had a sale last night only a couple of hours after the listing went live. Which, given the advertised eBay up to 24 hours for a listing to show, surprised me.

But I still posted it today.

Watchers, imo, are not a useful metric. Sales are.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

One item at 9am indicated 79 views, increasing steadily since yesterday. When checked again at midday, out of curiosity, it says 69 views. I have researched but can't find a sensible reason.   Hey,  so long as it sells, that is the main thing,  but one does like to know how things are calculated.  Tks

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply