Changes coming soon to eBay.com.au (14/08/2012)

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

This thread is to discuss the Changes coming soon to eBay.com.au

These changes include:

Enhanced functionality for multi-variation listings

Show your item location to increase buyer confidence

Greater 'Item Condition' clarity for buyers

Share your listings through your social network

Changes to Basic and Featured Store subscriptions

Please be advised, off-topic and/or disruptive posts may be deleted.

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 260
Latest reply
259 REPLIES 259

Re: Changes coming soon to eBay.com.au (14/08/2012)

Digital*ghost: "Do buyers have different (higher) expectations when purchasing from a store?"

As a buyer, the majority of things I buy probably aren't from stores. I look at the item and the seller but not whether they have a store or not. Aslong as the item looks good and the seller looks trustworthy, it's a good buy. Maybe subconsciousy, someone who has a store and say over 1000 positive feedback does have an impact but it's the terms, the price, the item, the description (how detailed it is or how detailed the photos are) that come first.

Having a store seems more for the seller than the buyer, as ironic as that sounds... 🙂

Message 31 of 260
Latest reply

Digital*ghost: "Do buyers have different (higher) expectations when purchasing from a store?"

As a buyer, the majority of things I buy probably aren't from stores. I look at the item and the seller but not whether they have a store or not. Aslong as the item looks good and the seller looks trustworthy, it's a good buy. Maybe subconsciousy, someone who has a store and say over 1000 positive feedback does have an impact but it's the terms, the price, the item, the description (how detailed it is or how detailed the photos are) that come first.

Having a store seems more for the seller than the buyer, as ironic as that sounds... 🙂

Thanks 🙂 It bothers me that eBay are not only encouraging business practices based on so-called buyer expectations (unsubstantiated claims), but they'll be penalising sellers who don't follow suit - in all my experience here, a very low percentage of buyers I've dealt with have had any of the expectations eBay claim as standard. In fact, buyers don't even purchase my items when I have free postage (even if the overall total price is lower), and maybe 5 people in over 1000 have asked (note that's asked, not expected), whether I could post something using Express. eBay's explanation of these changes reads like "err, we got a bunch of "undesirables" opening stores left, right and centre, and we don't think someone who can't afford $50p/m in a store fee can meet the expectations we tell buyers to have...."

Nevermind, I'll have my rant(s), then hopfully get on with business. :8}

By the way, does everyone remember how the fee structure (ultimately resulting in lower fees overall for many sellers) was unexpectedly delayed last time? Who's willing to be there'll be no delay in implementing the increase? :^O

Message 32 of 260
Latest reply

I'm confused as to try to figure out which way would give me the worst outcome. In Stores, are the listing fees still going to be 20c & 5c as they are now? Without a store, & after the 30 free x 10 day listings are used up, what is the listing fee? Can you list for 30 days? How much do pics cost? I think I read somewhere it's not possible to have listings with variations.

Where can I find this information?

Message 33 of 260
Latest reply

I'm confused as to try to figure out which way would give me the worst outcome. In Stores, are the listing fees still going to be 20c & 5c as they are now? Without a store, & after the 30 free x 10 day listings are used up, what is the listing fee? Can you list for 30 days? How much do pics cost? I think I read somewhere it's not possible to have listings with variations.

Where can I find this information?

It seems insertion fees will remain unchaged for the time being, so 20c and 5c for store owners.

Listing fees without a store are 50 cents for start prices up to $19.99, $1.50 for start prices up to $99.99 and $3.00 for start prices $100 or more.

Listing duration is for a maximum of 10 days without a store,  and you can only have multiple quantity or variant listings if you are a Power Seller or registered as a business (which disqualifies you from the 30 free listings). Anyone can upload up to 12 images for free on any listing.

Information about fees is here: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/fees.html

Message 34 of 260
Latest reply

bigtrainiac
Community Member

Er, did I read correctly that in 2013 we are all being forced to offer free postage, or our items will be very low in the rankings? Seriously??

Yes. This will bring Au in line with the US.

If you don't comply, you can forget being found in anything other than a direct description search.

The following step will be to force 24hr shipping - even tho' Paypal takes 48hr min to discover false payments - using the eBay postage system to print your postage. No 24hr or eBay postage, no visiblility.

There are many US posts about how it appears eBay no longer wants hobby/small sellers in preference to new w'sale & retail goods sellers as it shifts it's focus to being an on-line Walmart (K-Mart) and chases the mobile app user.

Look for 30 day min return for refund warranties with seller to pay return postage as well.

Message 35 of 260
Latest reply

Thank you digital*ghost. So it seems my Powerseller status is now going to cost me more money if I decide to drop my Store. You just have to laugh about that one!!

Message 36 of 260
Latest reply

I hadn't checked out that other site for a while... I was surprised how cheap the fees are. Wow... They are even cheaper than before.

You can sell a $1000 item for $20... or $10 item for 20c.

Free listings as well.

You can but will you? I have been over there for years and sell more here in a day than I do there in a year (and that is no exageration :()

Message 37 of 260
Latest reply

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

We will be doing our best to gather answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the changes announced the 14th of August, 2012.

Please ask your questions (concerning the announcement only) on this thread and we will compile the answers to help clarify any pertinent issues.

Remember, off-topic and/or disruptive posts may be deleted

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 38 of 260
Latest reply

are we likely to experience more changes like in the US where final value fees for stores are 13% for items under $50?

Message 39 of 260
Latest reply

We can cope with the increase in store fees as unjust as it is seeing as Ebay have already increased FVF fees this year and the trade off was cheaper store fees.

What has really made me angry are the demands by Ebay to reach TRS such as offering Express Post when we and most of our buyers are not within the Express Mail overnight zones.  Therefore we can't offer Express Post because we are out of the 1 day zone = no TRS status

So called 'Free Post' is not an option as many of our items don't fit into a mail envelope and are costly to post, again = no TRS status

Therefore we can never expect to reach TRS under these conditions and our listings will be pushed so far back buyers will never see them............and Ebay want MORE money for the privelage of being pushed back into oblivion.

I know we will no longer be jumping through hoops to meet Ebay's demands, we will find another way to make the money.

What land do you live in Ebay?????????????

Message 40 of 260
Latest reply