Combined postage

I have a buyer who would like combined postage and this is something I offer, but they have not yet purchased yet, how do I do this?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Combined postage

1. You can ask the buyer to make the purchases and to wait for an invoice before they pay.

2. The buyer can add the items to the cart and if the listings are set up to combine they can pay immediately.

3. You can ask what items the buyer wants and set up a listing with those items.

If sending an invoice after purchases, simply adjust postage and send. (Do Not click recalculate) 

My preference is for option one.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

kopes, a lot of us have been opted in to immediate payments and the buyers won't be able to purchase and wait for an invoice.

Last week I experimented and tried to buy some of my own items from a different ID and there was no Confirm button - it took me straight to checkout and said Confirm & Pay underneath the dollar amount. Checkout was exactly the same whether I used BIN or the cart.

This week I've had two buyers ask for an invoice after buying so some buyers must be able to request a total and others can't. I edited my descriptions in over 600 listings and now what I've said isn't strictly correct. No way am I changing them again. I just wish ebay would be consistent!!
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

the BUYER needs to change their settings:

Here's the steps about removing the automatic payment checkout:

1.Go to My eBay.

2.Click Account

3.Select Personal Information

4.Scroll down to Financial Information

5.Click Remove on the right side of Checkout saved payment methods.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

@twyngwyn wrote:

the BUYER needs to change their settings:

Here's the steps about removing the automatic payment checkout:

1.Go to My eBay.

2.Click Account

3.Select Personal Information

4.Scroll down to Financial Information

5.Click Remove on the right side of Checkout saved payment methods.

twngwyn, i appreciate you are a font of knowledge and definately know your stuff, but is this correct ?

I had never heard of it before, so tried your steps and it seems to relate to the monthly payment of ebay fees for sellers rather than buying. Before the " remove option ' would activate, it required me to pay my outstanding sellers fees for items sold and appeared to dismantle my automatic monthly payments of selling fees. If this is correct it could cause major unintended problems for casual ebayers who buy stuff and sell a few things.

Am I missing something ???

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

brerrabbit585 wrote:
kopes, a lot of us have been opted in to immediate payments and the buyers won't be able to purchase and wait for an invoice.

You're right I totally forgot about that.

In that case adding to the cart then requesting total should work. 

And you're also right chameleon, that is to change auto payment of fees. (Maybe twyn is destracted with her crossword)

image host
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

You're right I totally forgot about that.

In that case adding to the cart then requesting total should work

And you're also right chameleon, that is to change auto payment of fees. (Maybe twyn is destracted with her crossword)

I'm glad you said should.  As I explained further up, when I experimented last week checkout was exactly the same whether I used BIN or the cart - no request total button, just 'confirm & pay'. 

It makes it awfull hard to explain to sellers when it shows differently to different people.  I don't get many who wait for an invoice and haven't for a couple of years, but this week I had two people who requested an invoice, which I didn't think was possible any more on my listings!

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

brerrabbit, I just went to your listings and put two in the cart and the "request total" button was available. I notice you do not mention you offer combined postage on your listings, at least not on the ones I looked at.  I found that I could get rates for more than one item, (under the postage section of your ad)  but it just added the full amount of postage for each. Some sellers are able to show the discounted postage with that setup, but as I am not a business seller, I don't know how that is done. The only problem I have encountered with instant payment was for a single item, for which the buyer had to pay immediately, even though I do not have instant payment selected in my listings. All of those buyers who I thanked for their quick payment must think I am an idiot, like I didn't know that they had no choice. Thanks eBay!

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

@shoppingbag* wrote:

brerrabbit, I just went to your listings and put two in the cart and the "request total" button was available. I notice you do not mention you offer combined postage on your listings, at least not on the ones I looked at.  I found that I could get rates for more than one item, (under the postage section of your ad)  but it just added the full amount of postage for each. Some sellers are able to show the discounted postage with that setup, but as I am not a business seller, I don't know how that is done. The only problem I have encountered with instant payment was for a single item, for which the buyer had to pay immediately, even though I do not have instant payment selected in my listings. All of those buyers who I thanked for their quick payment must think I am an idiot, like I didn't know that they had no choice. Thanks eBay!

If telling buyers to look at my store home page for my combined postage rates isn't the same as saying I offer combined postage then I don't know what is.  You need to learn to read exactly what's there.

There is no way to set up my listings so they're charged the correct postage on multiple purchases, whether from the same listing or not, and that's why I've done it the way I have.  My combined post table tells them exactly what they can expect to pay for postage and EVERY ONE of my listings tells them that I'll manually refund the overpaid postage (if they pay with one payment).

You may have got the request total button but I know not all my buyers do because a couple of weeks ago I got a spate of questions requesting invoices when they hadn't actually bought the items.  Obviously that was when ebay opted me in to immediate payments.  Why it applies to some buyers and not others is anyone's guess, and there's no point me trying to figure it out because there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Combined postage

I have cut/pasted this info from the Powersellers Board....it has worked for my customers who were being asked to "pay as you go"....apparently sellers have to educate their buyers & this 'gem' was a direct quote form an eBay rep....go figure!

I have ALWAYS offered combined postage over a 2 week period, and then (somehow) it all changed and eBay wanted "pay as you go"....I complained to whoever would listen and that advice above was finally given to me. I now pass it on to all my customers who have thanked me for the info....

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply