Complaining about postage costs

Ok I know it may sound petty but I have had 2 people complain about postage costs in the last few days. My postage costs are fixed prices so the buyer knows upfront exactly how much it will cost them. Plain and simple if you don't like the postage cost when you are making the purchase why buy it?

I have since raised my prices a little to enable me to reduce postage & handling costs, bottom line is though the buyer will still be paying the same.

What are other people opinions on it? Do some buyers really think we set the postage costs? It is dictated to us by Click & send etc.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Complaining about postage costs

It's the same for postage times.

Getting marked down for Australia Post's slow delivery is unfair, but hey, what can you do?

Doesn’t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Some times you cant win  

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

No matter what you do with regards to postage you will receive complaints.

I have received complaints when I have combined postage and reduced it down to less than what the postage is for 1 item - and charged less than it actually cost to post the item. I have received a DSR of 1 for postage cost in this situation as well. (Yet another aspect of the feedback system that doesn't work). Just goes to show no matter what you do some buyers will never be happy. Thankfully their are in the minority. I don't think many buyers know how much postage costs, and given the cost of registered mail, tracking etc isn't included on the AP postage labels and satchels don't have prices printed on them how are buyers toknow what is reasonable. 

You need to do what works best for you. If you have a lot of buyers that purchase multiple items and you offer a combined postage discount and decide to incorporate part of the postage cost into the item price, this will result in them paying more for their items in total. If you typically sell single items then it won't make much difference except your FVF will increase slightly.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I was marked down on postage cost the other day by a buyer in country WA, I had set a flat rate of $20 (was willing to take the hit if someone in the middle of nowhere bid) and it cost me over $40! Some people cannot be pleased.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Funny thing tho - if a buyer has to 'return at their own cost' for a paypal claim - they are quick to run here and whinge about the cost of postage then. I gave up trying to figure it out a long time ago 😉

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

In all the time I have been doing ebay that comment or negative left after the person has paid for postage I truely find that really unfair why buy then leave neg ! I noticed many sellers write in their listing please dont buy and then complain  postage was expensive

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply