Custom changes to minerals and rough stones from australia for postage

Hi does anyone know why you can't send minerals, gemstones, fossils etc from Australia anymore. Auspost will not accept, and customs do not give clearance for these items since the 1/8/22. And can anyone give me advice on what to put on customs declaration forms.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Custom changes to minerals and rough stones from australia for postage

@fra_419208 wrote:

Hi last 2 weeks, customs said put it through as costume fashion jewellery,  it is opal rough.

if you had this advice from customs when you started this thread then why did you ask for input on these boards?

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

Unlike some I do not like to give false info. Customs did it as a handball because they really had no answer other than register as a exporter.

Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

Iโ€™ve just had a quick search-by-item look of the ABF website and there is nothing there about your items being restricted.  

These items are listed under โ€˜miscellaneousโ€™ and they donโ€™t seem to be restricted. 

Are you sure you have your info correct? Maybe you dreamt it lol. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

That's why I asked for the link - they have misinterpreted methinks.

Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

Hi tried to link to auspost site, eBay won't let it come up even a screen shot I took. Sorry.

Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

Refunding 5 clients is not a dream. They worldwide have put restrictions on movement of gems, minerals fossils etc for proceeds of crime, funding Terrorism , money laundering etc. And the list on abf site is January 2020, not a current list. New list , which will be up according to customs, in 3 months.

Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

@fra_419208 wrote:

Hi tried to link to auspost site, eBay won't let it come up even a screen shot I took. Sorry.

Oh yeah, itโ€™s eBayโ€™s doing that you canโ€™t link a site or post a screenshot ๐Ÿ˜‰

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

One of those peaple

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

@fra_419208 wrote:

Not herbal opal rough.

You mentioned minerals (amongst other things) can't be posted overseas, so I replied that I had no issues posting minerals overseas in the last few weeks. I had another international sale yesterday of a fossil, which I not long posted and had no problems with it. I described it as a mineral specimen fossil, so no lies on the form. 

I have posted opals before, but not for a while, so can't comment on whether you can post them at the moment. 

As for no herbal opals, a quick google search reveals you can get Opal Basil seeds. You can get Opal Herbal Cleansing Milk. Opal Herbal All Purpose Cream. Just to mention a few.

So, it is entirely possible that they may be blocking things because they see it as something herbal, rather than rock. Like my example of the rock I had trouble getting into the country. 

Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

Hi example I was given yesterday by customs. If I was to post opal say red on black 2ct worth 10,000 dollars as a man made gilson worth 5 dollars. They do not know value and I could be laundering money. Which is the reason for postal changes.  Which if you look at my page is low priced material, no big red on blacks.

No herbal value in silica which is main ingredient in opal. Hydrated silica oxide.

I am wrapped you can get items sent using mineral specimen, I have tried for a week using terms like rough rock, gravel etc. The guys in the post office have been magnificent in there efforts to try and help especially the senior team. To try and help me and they all know me by name. Good wishes and hope all goes well with your endeavours. 

Message 30 of 37
Latest reply