Customers that watch your items...

As a store holder, it can be quiet frustrating having all these watches and not been able to communicate with them.

An example of what I mean;

I have on average 50++ watches, as it's Ebay’s rules and regulations that they cannot disclose the customers (watchers) Ebay user ID so I’m unable to ask the customer (watcher), if they need any assistance.

I would like to treat my customers (watches), like a customer walking into my shop and they start browsing (watching) and I ask them if they need any help. On some occasions they are just happy to browse but in other instances they are more than happy to accept your help. In the end the customer is happy as they received the service that they deserve along with their item(s) and the shop is happy as they received a sale.

My point is I would very much like to assist my customers (watches), however Ebay makes this quiet difficult.

Just wondering if there are any fellow store holders that share the same frustration.

Your comments, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Nope, I dont even take any notice of them nowdays. Often the watchers on BIN items are competitors checking your prices or keeping an eye on what your selling. Or they are customers that cant pay yet, but want to buy next week or the week after, or their waiting for you to put it on sale, or its on their wish list, or they put it on watch and its dropped off the page and they've forgotten all about it.............

If people have questions, they'll ask.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Oh, and I think if sellers could contact watchers, we would all have a lot less of them. One of the advantages for lots of ebayers is that fact that they cant be harrassed (for want of a better word 🙂 ) by sales people.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

I love my anonymous watchers - I have loads of them too :-x:-x:-x

I betcha I would have a lot fewer watchers, if I could view their ids or send them a message spruking my items. A change like that would make me very frustrated as a seller and as a buyer X-(

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

As a store holder, it can be quiet frustrating having all these watches and not been able to communicate with them.

I think something a lot of sellers forget is that they do communicate with people who are watchers only, and anyone else that views their listings.

Every little last detail you put in your listing communicates something to potential buyers (as long as they see / read it, I suppose). You communicate details about the item, postage, your store practices (eg return policies, handling time). There can be just as much (if not more) information contained in a listing as someone could get by browsing a store and seeking assistance - that's kind of the point, in that the listing should contain all the information a potential buyer needs to make a confident purchase decision (or, if it can't - eg custom items, clear details on what and how to communicate their needs to the seller). 

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

I can see big issue on buyers side of things especially if they watch many items at any one time

I know i wouldnt my email Inbox flooded with sellers asking if they need help  this would potienly drown out important email.

If you want to help customers Put as much detail in descriptions as possible this will help

Buyers watch items for many reasons like already mentioned

D'oh
Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

I have on average 50++ watches, as it's Ebay’s rules and regulations that they cannot disclose the customers (watchers) Ebay user ID so I’m unable to ask the customer (watcher), if they need any assistance.

I would like to treat my customers (watches), like a customer walking into my shop and they start browsing (watching) and I ask them if they need any help.

Simple, first line of your listing description should be "Should you need any advice or have any questions that need answering please do not hesitate to use the 'ask a question' link at the bottom of this page".

We know that buyers rarely read the whole description which is why I suggest putting it ad the first line.

If sellers could see that I was watching their item and they were able to contact me directly I would watch very few items.  Unsolicited contact may be viewed as spamming.

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

Thank you fellow Ebayer for your comments. 🙂

I appreciate your help..

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

The only items I watch are those which I have reported for policy breaches and that is just to check that they have been removed!

I never take any notice of watchers, especially on BIN items, the number of watchers has no correlation with the number of bids or buys.

I always assume that most watchers are other sellers who want to see how much I get or how many I sell so they know if it is worth them listing or not.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

I often watch an item that I like but don't bid (I'm talking in stores here, notindividual sellers) so I can think about it...will it go with my decore, will it fit me, will it be used, do I really need it, etc...

If I knew that sellers could access my details through me watching an item I would definitely watch a LOT less! I like being able to "hold" an item in my list for a while before I commit to buying & I often change my mind about an item for any number of reasons.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply