Dishonest buyer gets caught out...

So, I sold an item - woo-hoo! It happens, occasionally. Mind you, it took a lot more effort than you'd expect for a simple $25 item - numerous messages from the prospective buyer via both our Ebay store and our bricks-and-mortar business. But, the sale was made on May 11th, item sent to his nominated PO box, and all's right with the world, you'd think.

But, nup... Buyer contacts me on May 31st, saying he hadn't received the item. I provided the tracking number, showing that the item had been delivered on May 19th.

He messaged me again on June 6, asking where the item was. I again provided the tracking number and told him it was showing as delivered, and requested that he go to the post office and make enquiries with them.

He messaged me on June 8th, now asking for details of how it was packaged, which I provided, and again requested that he go to the post office.

He messaged me AGAIN today, now asking for details of what was written on the address label, which I told him. He also wanted to know whether our seller ID was on the label, which seems irrelevant - he either got the item or he didn't...

By now smelling a rat the size of a small family SUV, I just rang the post office in question - and they cheerfully confirmed that the item was picked up AND SIGNED FOR by him on May 19th! 

I've messaged him, giving him the bad news, and am awaiting his sub-literate, all-caps response even as we speak..., err, type.

I've also clued Ebay into the matter - stay tuned for the next thrilling chapter!

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Dishonest buyer gets caught out...

Had a buyer open INR once, weeks later he left nasty feedback including 'seller sent wrong size...' Unless it says 'delivered' eBay always rule against you.

Thief.
Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

It's the principle and good the PO will support with info.

Sounds more like a disorganised business rather than a deliberate attempt to get a freebie.

Let us know the result.

image host
Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Looks like I've been landed with another numpty - purchased an item at 9.45 Friday morning, messages me at 6.45 tonight ranting that we're quick to take his money and slow to post. We clearly list a three day handling time on all items. The item was posted yesterday afternoon, same day he bought it.

He also complains about the "rediculous" postage charge - $8.50, for an item that Aust Post classes as "small parcel".

Had a look through his "feedback left for others" - appalling, made up largely of false positives.

He;s been added to the ever-increasing BBL...

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

dont worry man, we have ours set to 3 days too and regularly get abused if its not sent right away. Like seriously, these weekends have massive surges of orders, impossible to process in 1 business day. Ebay should hopefully side with you.
Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

If you do end up with a negative take it up with CS and paste his feedback link in the chat session. Had 2 flaky buyers the same and got them both removed. Buyers with mental health issues are alive and well on eBay.
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

haha
Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

Seriously, I had one buyer accuse me of destroying his motorcycle because he bought the wrong part and tried to fit it !#@$#&%*

Checking his feedback Left for Others, 75 out of his 120 purchases were a sea of red ? Something not quite right upstairs.
Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

I always check feedback left for sellers before posting out. If there are too many negs for my liking, I just cancel with the "problem with buyers address" reason.

I got caught once or twice a few years ago and had to deal with some issues - now I check feedback religiously before posting as some buyers are simply not worth the stress for the sake of a sale.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

hahaha i feel you man we got one like that a few months ago haha. Another thing that fustrates me to the core, there is so many notifications & information about postage delays (domestic). We got like a few a week "Theres nothing wrong with the post you haven't sent it, did you check the tracking? No" "why's it taking so long" etc You be nice to them and they continue to abuse you. Like those ones too are not mentally stable.
Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

doesn't that take a lot of time though?
Message 20 of 26
Latest reply