Do you realise you have to report your ebay earnings to Centrelink?

Had some dealings with centrelink this week and blow me down I have to report my earnings for my HOBBIE every item sold each fortnight. No deductions, if I have something up with FREE postage I have to include the postage  as earnings also. So have had to end all items with FREE postage and alter them before relisting with postage extra, bang goes this ebay Top Seller sh....t.

I am so deflated.

Please beware all you ebay sellers on centrelink/pensioner payments.

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

@imastawka wrote:

I already tried palming some of it off by saying

"Hey, you want this?"

Answer - "I'm an only child mum,  I'll get it eventually"     sigh smiley.gif

So true Stalks, I've got dad's golf glove - but I don't play golf (must pm taz.......), did have mum's Kenwood and all the attachments they  are being used by the other oldies so that's cool.

Legacy's probably going to get most of what I have. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 61 of 72
Latest reply

OT,  but were you a junior Legatee?      I was

Message 62 of 72
Latest reply

Nope, but I do have total and awesome respect for our veterans.

Nothing special, nothing grand.

Just to stay on topic, even centrelink employes veterans .................................the tax office just does not care too much about them, neither does our wonderful government...........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 63 of 72
Latest reply

Think yourselves lucky, the UK tax authorities are trying to get a law passed that would give them access to everyone's Paypal and any other on line 3rd party payment accounts!

Message 64 of 72
Latest reply

Sorry i think i'm to late for this.

wouldn't  people  just pick up and leave ebay and start selling on facebook on groups and personly websites???

all this is crazy!!!!

i'm sure ebay is doing very real well after this was air lol Smiley LOL

Spoiler

Message 65 of 72
Latest reply

Yes, you are a bit late....this thread was last posted on a year ago.

You have to report your earnings to Centrelink....it has always been that way.

And ebay has to report to the ATO any sellers who are earning over $10,000.  You are supposed to pay tax on all ebay earnings unless it is just private selling of your own second hand goods.

Some sellers would have left ebay but most sellers understand their reporting responsibilities and factor the them into their costs.

Message 66 of 72
Latest reply

wouldn't  people  just pick up and leave ebay and start selling on facebook on groups and personly websites???

all this is crazy!!!!

--------------------------------

If you make a regular business of selling on facebook or any other site & if you're making a reasonably regular income, even a small income, from it, then I would imagine you are supposed to submit that for taxation too.

The odd private item sold, no, but small business earnings, yes.

My brother was on centrelink payments just before he died & every dollar earned had to be declared.

Message 67 of 72
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

all this is crazy!!!!

--------------------------------

If you make a regular business of selling on facebook or any other site & if you're making a reasonably regular income, even a small income, from it, then I would imagine you are supposed to submit that for taxation too.

The odd private item sold, no, but small business earnings, yes.

My brother was on centrelink payments just before he died & every dollar earned had to be declared.

They have ways of finding out too. When I left school I was on the dole before I got my first job. I opened a bank account with $1 at the State Bank of NSW. The only reason I opened the account was because I liked their eftpos card. It was bright green and their ATM machines were called the Green Machine. Yes, I was a silly teenager, but I thought it sounded cool! I think the most that was ever in that account was $10.

I went to submit my dole form and they asked me about this new bank account and why I hadn't told them about it. I said it was because there was very little in it and what was in it came from my dole cheque. It didn't matter, I was supposed to tell them. That was back in the 80's when computers were still in their infancy, yet they were still able to find this account. I'd imagine these days with technology, they'd have all manner of ways of finding these things out.

I became so paranoid after that, that everytime I did some work for cash in hand, like gardening or lawn mowing for the neighbours, I declared it. It was never enough to affect my payment, but I was sure they'd find out about it some how! These days, big brother is watching. They know where you are and what you're doing! They have ways of making you pay!

Message 68 of 72
Latest reply

Message 69 of 72
Latest reply

Very enlightening.

What is with all the blank posts?

Message 70 of 72
Latest reply