Does AP sort parcels according to handwritten address or PO label?

pnc75
Community Member

They made a mistake with one of mine; they put the wrong postcode on the label (they did the same postcode twice instead of 2 different ones).

Of course, it's a long weekend in the southern states so I can't contact them.:womansad I have sent an on-line enquiry but tthat will take days to get a reply, I imagine.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I'd imagine like most things, it would go by the postcode written with the address. Most letters only have stamps, not printed labels, so I doubt they'd be going on what's on a printed label. I would also assume the bar code on the printed label is for tracking purposes relating to the tracking number. Of course I could be completely wrong, I'm just taking wild guesses here, because no-one else has answered you.

At worst it might take a few extra days if it does get sorted to the postcode on the printed label. If you are concerned and have My Post, you could redirect it back to your address and then resend it. My concern would be if the tracking showed as delivered, then the buyer claimed INR. You have no proof that you posted anything that went to their post code.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Yes that's part of my concern too, tippy. Also, the length of time it will take to get to the correct address as it's supposed to be going to south east Qld and instead had a WA sticker on the label! And of course, there's no tracking for it at this stage other than lodgement. (Go AP!)

I have no doubt it will eventually get there, I'm just worried about the time frame. Thank heavens I photograph all parcels so have photographic proof if necessary.

Thank you for answering, by the way. It's very much appreciated.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

pnc - just for your info, if you use twitter - you can contact AP (@auspost) on there and give them your case number and they'll usually give you a reply quite quickly (sometimes 10-15 mins, sometimes a couple of hours).

their customer support work 7 days/week on twitter. in the past, i've been wanting quick replies to cases i've lodged on their support portal, but haven't been able to (it usually takes days / weeks / months). this is the quickest way i've found to get an answer :]

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks, Im-e, but no I don't have social media. However, it's great advice for anyone who does.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I don't have a tweeter, but I have had good success with Facebook. Unlike most other disgruntled customers who abuse them, I stay calm and polite and tend to get looked after much quicker than the angry ones. I've found the staff I've dealt with on there to be very efficient.

I know a lot of people are against social media because of how a certain percentage of the population use it (plastering their entire life over it), but it does have its advantages and does have a lot of good points. A friend of mine was very anti, but has now created a Facebook account for this very purpose. Some things can be dealt with much quicker that way. Sometimes eBay included (as long as you find the genuine eBay Australia page and not all the fake ones). You don't have to put anything on it, even a profile pic. You don't even have to use your real name (but eBay and Aust Post require you to tell them in the private message).

I think if you were going to create an account just for this purpose, I'd go facebook. You can write as much as you like in a facebook message, tweeter you have a character limit, which isn't very much (unless something has changed). Difficult when you're trying to plead your case.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

all great points tippy! :]

with twitter, they ask you to send them a direct message (same as a private message) and this doesn't have a character limit and can include screenshots / attachments etc. i'd say it's just as effective as facebook for this purpose (i've used both to contact them with very similar results). 

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

We have this issue often ! The automated sorting centres read the barcode off the sticker label that the post office attaches at the time you purchase the postage. If the post office person types in the wrong postcode (which they often do) the package will get sent to the wrong place. The annoying bit is that once it goes to the wrong post office they send it back to the automated sorting centre only for the process to be repeated. Sometimes this happens 3 or more times before someone manually corrects it. It can extend a postage time of 1-2 days to nearly 2 weeks.

Check the post codes on the receipt you get from the post office and make SURE they match the address. If not go back and make them do it again.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

Am pleased to report that the parcel arrived at the correct address within 2 days from posting, so it did go straight there. Thank heavens that they must read the actual hand written addresses at Underwood.

1 up for Australia Post.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I'm glad your parcel went STRAIGHT to its destination. I've got a parcel that's now crossing the Nullabor for the third time. If I didn't laugh about it I think I'd cry.

I've had quite a few take the long way round in the last fortnight and none of their side trips have been related to postcodes on AP labels because they've all been satchels with handwritten addresses.
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply