Does anyone go to the PO to get proof of lodgement?

ty.erd
Community Member

Hi,

Do people go to the PO everyday just to get proof of lodgement?

Do customers even notice?

I've noticed some parcels that are just posted in street boxes don't get scanned even once they reach the delivery facilities.

Is there an alternative?

It's funny because I expect to see other ebay sellers waiting in line around 4pm but I never do! Is everyone just lodging in a street post box?

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Sellers should lodge their parcels over the counter and get a receipt as

proof of lodgement.

Some people go to the PO in the mornings, not leaving it until the last minute.

When I receive a parcel that hasn't been scanned, I warn the seller

about just dropping them in the street boxes.

They are leaving themselves open to on-line theft.   Twice this year,

I could have opened an INR when in actual fact I received it.

I could have had the item and my money back

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Lodging over the counter gets you a lodgement scan.

This scan is your proof of postage in the event of any INR claim.

If you do not get this lodgement scan then if your parcel is truly lost and there has been no intermediate scans then you will lose any INR claim, even tho you have a tracking number, since you have no proof it was even sent.

Also with the new late delivery defect system if you do not have a lodgement scan within your stated handling time and your parcel arrives after the ebay estimated delivery date you will get a late delivery defect. If you have the lodgement scan within your handling time then you are protected from late delivery defects no matter how late the parcel arrives.

So yes, in our case we always lodge over the counter and get that scan.

Others may be able to add more to this.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Everthing I post goes over the postoffice counter. My Postmaster is really good about it. All items are photographed once postmarked by him and I make sure all parcels are scanned correctly. When I get home from the Postoffice and check the parcels or registered mail is scanned in by tracking numbers.

Twice in the last 3 years items have not scanned correctly due to a scanner fault so have rang the postmaster up and he has rescanned for me. I cannot get any better service than that.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

I lodge every parcel at the PO I would not drop them in the box. We post at different times I rarely am at the POat 4pm usually about 2:30-3:00pm the only time I am there between 4-5pm is if I get home from posting and someone has order something I usually do a quick run to the post office to get it in that day.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

@queenslander-one wrote:

Everthing I post goes over the postoffice counter. My Postmaster is really good about it. All items are photographed once postmarked by him and I make sure all parcels are scanned correctly. When I get home from the Postoffice and check the parcels or registered mail is scanned in by tracking numbers.

Twice in the last 3 years items have not scanned correctly due to a scanner fault so have rang the postmaster up and he has rescanned for me. I cannot get any better service than that.

If you get a mypost card https://auspost.com.au/mypost/ and get them to scan that as well you can track all parcels through their site so you know it was scanned in right and also keep an eye on all parcels in 1 place easily. 

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

The only time I don't lodge over the counter is the rare occasion I send a large, unregistered letter. I would never risk an item getting lost with no lodgement scan. if it goes missing after being dropped in the box you have no proof of anything other than perhaps you printed a label if you use ebay satchels.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

I also go to the PO and get every parcel scanned, but I am lucky in that I live near a small LPO.

For items that don't go in a satchel, but in my own packaging (usually because it won't fit in a satchel) then I also ask that the scan includes the postcode, so I know which tracking number goes with which parcel. Back in the day when I would have several parcels to take to the PO - those were the good old days, like last year - it was very confusing if I didn't have a postcode to go with the tracking number. More work for the postmaster, but he knows me pretty well by now.

Only very occasionally do I tempt fate and use a large letter for posting.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

@ty.erd wrote:

Hi,

I've noticed some parcels that are just posted in street boxes don't get scanned even once they reach the delivery facilities.

Is there an alternative?

It's funny because I expect to see other ebay sellers waiting in line around 4pm but I never do! Is everyone just lodging in a street post box?

Thanks

Yes. If I have daily sales.

No idea. But eBay do and will possibly defect me if I don't

Alternative - lodge over the counter.

Maybe there aren't a lot of eBay sellers in your area. Or they use small newsagent POs that are open until 6 and usually on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@ty.erd wrote:

Hi,

Is there an alternative?

Thanks

How would you know they were eBay sellers? Not everyone who posts parcels sells on eBay. Do they have something that indicates they are eBay sellers? Like having a sign across their forehead?

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply