EBAY JUST DON'T HAVE THE CUSTOMER BASE

I have been looking at various blogs AND here in the ebay community, assuming that there is in fact an ebay community (lol).

We sell on 5 selling platforms and have found that our ebay sales are hugely depleted with the other 4 platforms performing very well.

Our prices are the same in all 5 platforms (including ebay), so ebay has to be the problem.

Before we totally can ebay, I thought I might first put this out there.

Cheers

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: EBAY JUST DON'T HAVE THE CUSTOMER BASE

From my understanding unless you are moving to amazon it is still the next largest marketplace for selling online. The hard part for selling here is you have to be high in best match to make a decent sell through rate and here is the hard part with everyone fighting over those positions.

Are your items appearing high in searches or do you pay promotion fees. For me I will not pay any extra fees and would prefer to keep out of those categories that require it if you want a sale. Is your visitor traffic numbers down, according to my stats most of my buyers come from searches like google but that is most likely as I dont pay promotion fees so lose ebay traffic.

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

Good morning

Just wondering if your other selling platforms also have the option for your buyers to leave feedback.

As a buyer I find your replies rather off-putting.

Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

I feel many sellers should learn that responding to feedback can make it worse.  

Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

Thank you for participating.

To be blunt, we are struggling to handle the sales derived from the other 4 platforms, so if the ebay systems result in additional consideration, why bother at all.

We will likely end about 1/2 of our listings on ebay tonight, leave the slow lines on ebay and check ebay two or three times a week for activity but totally focus on the other 4 successful platforms.  

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

I am flat-tack today so will check here again late tonight.

FYI, I just left the message below a couple minutes ago in reply to eol-products, which is the sensible outcome and decision from our point of view ... 

"Thank you for participating.

To be blunt, we are struggling to handle the sales derived from the other 4 platforms, so if the ebay systems result in additional consideration, why bother at all.

We will likely end about 1/2 of our listings on ebay tonight, leave the slow lines on ebay and check ebay two or three times a week for activity but totally focus on the other 4 successful platforms. " 

Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

"I suspect eBay are also changing the algorythms in favor of new items as opposed to single, one off, used items in an attempt to move the platform more to the new, cheap Chinese carp, $2.00 shop model and away from the used and collectible items. ( unless its bogan sports cards or Nike trainers. )"

Completely disagree, matters on your performace, I've sold/selling everything on here. 2nd hand goods are only less because marketplace is more common now and easier and feeless

You are welcome to have an opposing opinion, makes the forums interesting. My views are not just based on opinion or personal experience though, they are based on ebays publicly available financial reports which show massive declines in active buyer numbers and gross merchandise volumes in the last 6 months as well as reports of other sellers which correspond closely with my experience.

On top of this I,m not basing my views on perceptions or personal opinions but on long running, factual statistics I keep over four selling id's of past and present sales as well as several other sellers I monitor as a benchmark to my eBay business. The four selling id's have been active on eBay for up to 15 years and have around 17,000 sales, over 10,000 feedbacks and close to $ 3/4 million  in sales so there is a fair bit of accurate, reliable information to draw on.

While in the past I have also sold just about everything on ebay, there appears to have been a dramatic change in selling patterns around 3 - 4 months ago which corresponds with reported declines in sales of 40 - 60 % by many sellers. The reason for such a dramatic and sudden change and decline is most likely to be a change in search algorythm settings rather than a sudden change in buyer choices or demographics.

With eBay actively targeting the cheap, bogan market, ( see their advertising ) leaving the higher quality end to the big river, any ebay sellers who also service the cheap bogan market will not be as affected by eBay changes as sellers who are targeting the more mature, expensive online products, so individual sellers experiences will be different.

That said, Ebays own financial reports clearly show the company is in major strife with rapidly declining buyer numbers and huge falls in merchandise volumes, while at the same time, squeezing much higher overall fees from remaining sellers. .

I,m a big supporter of Ebay selling, ( its been very good to me ) but things are going to have to change very quickly if the company is to retain any form of relevance in the future.

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

I somewhat agree, but depends how you respond. I'm bias cause I don't care about feedback...

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

Pretty simple, If you cant handle the volume then I would not worry about eBay. Based on you listings is mostly stationary. Why would a customer wait 1 month to get something when they could either spend a few dollars and get from officeworks/kmart right away or buy the same thing from china and wait a month there.

Also It can appear as though you are drop shipper because 1 month for the item to get to me is excessive.

Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

I agree with all you've said about the handling times.

I am a buyer only and have in the past bought stationery products. I actively look for items located in Australia and I would expect a delivery time of around 1-2 weeks.  A month's wait would make me suspect drop shipping or seller located in China.

I don't know stationery on demand's 5 selling platforms but I'm struggling to understand how customers on any of them are willing to put up with the long wait. Seems to me that people in general these days expect mucvh faster service (unless an item is overseas, then they realise there will be a wait).

Could be right though about ebay sales in general taking a plunge. I've heard that same complaint from some other sellers. Could depend on what a person sells or the quantity, I don't know, I'm a buyer only these days.

Stationery on demand said:

Before we totally can ebay, I thought I might first put this out there.

Sorry to say, but you're not the first. You're probably not even in the top 10. But that's okay, it was interesting to read about your sales on 5 platforms. Not many other sellers have that comparison.

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

Thanks to all who are participating and trying to help.

I said I would be back last night but only finished around midnight, having started very early.

Quick and brief update:

Our average send time is 2.15 days and goods sent within 100kms seem to arrive within 4 days of purchase, but more distant locations are taking up to 3 weeks with Australia Post and various couriers. Please see our feedback.

We carry everything in stock, but we do drop-ship about 4% of sales, only those that are large quantity orders.

Back tonight.

Message 20 of 36
Latest reply