EBay is now issuing refunds to buyers even though item has not been returned?

EBay is now issuing refunds to buyers even though items have not being returned.

I feel so let down.

I have a buyer who was nt happy with her item and asked if she could return it, no problem we said, still waiting for item to be return? Just receive a notice from EBay saying they have ruled in the buyers favour.

EBay has now given my buyer a full refund and gets to keep the item.

Why are buyers allowed to keep items and not have to return?

Why are sellers penalized?

Why is it all for the buyers?

This is going to open the flood gates to buyers to open disputes without having to be accountable for returning items. Especially if its as easy as saying they don't want the item?

As a seller we consistently have to send items with tracking as proof as delivery.

I have just tried to send an appeal and surprise it wont send, just another glitch.

Sorry feeling very let down.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: EBay is now issuing refunds to buyers even though item has not been returned?

One of my biggest concerns is, when you sign into using ebay, you agree to THEIR terms & conditions. Whether we like then or not. This may be unfair & in some case dreadfully unjust. We, as Sellers & Buyers, must abide by ebays RULES.

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

Re: EBay is now issuing refunds to buyers even though item has not been returned?

If eBay's rules breach Australian Consumer Law, they are illegal and automatically null & void and no longer apply to eBay's users.
Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

One of my biggest concerns is, when you sign into using ebay, you agree to THEIR terms & conditions. Whether we like then or not. This may be unfair & in some case dreadfully unjust. We, as Sellers & Buyers, must abide by ebays RULES.

Fortunately in Austrlalia you can't sign away your legal rights (or responsibiilties) in a service agreement.

The difficulty is enforcing those rights.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

As mentioned. eBay can have all the policies they like but, they will never trump Australian Law which, under the User Agreement, eBay claims it adheres to.  Therefore, any action taken by eBaythat breaches your protection or rights under Aust. Law is an illegal act and should be reported to the appropriate Government Department immediately.

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

There has been some success with complaints to FOS regarding Paypal holding funds for 21 days on some accounts.

Has anyone approached ACCC, FOS or some other body regarding eBay refunding monies without goods been returned, or even allowing a process for seller to state their case?
Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Its another reason to refund rather than send a replacement, as in the meantime Ebay could refund them, despite a replacement being sent.

I assume now when a buyer says there is a problem, there is a high chance Ebay will refund regardless of what you do. This is the pitch they are aiming at buyer to make them feel safe in buying on Ebay.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

Its another reason to refund rather than send a replacement, as in the meantime Ebay could refund them, despite a replacement being sent.

Interestingly enough, if a seller sends a replacement and the buyer does not send back the original item within a certain amount of time, according to the MBG, eBay charge the buyer for the replacement (I didn't spot where they say how, or even that they'll pass the funds on to the seller, though). 

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

I recently had the same scenario and contacted Ebay on multiple occasions. They advised that it was an automated system and eventually refunded me back my money and also had the defect removed.

Also, if you do a google search on Australian consumer law, the buyer must return the goods to you prior to a refund so you may need to remind Ebay of this also. 

These new rules seem to facilitate scammers to say that the "Item is not as described" so they get a freebie but sellers, perservere because even though contacting Ebay customer service feels like chasing your own tail around and around again, you will eventually get the outcome which is right.

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

just letting everyone know that I have had a successful outcome. I received my refund from EBay yesterday. I ended up ringing them and there was no big deal at all they agreed an error had been made and issued the refund immediately.

My advice would be to ring and not email.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post.

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

I have. They can't touch eBay but PayPal are under our laws, I was told. Could you please elaborate on success's. 🙂 Sandra
Message 20 of 37
Latest reply