Ebay editing sellers item description - new format

I just viewed one of my listings and was suprised to see a very shortened, edited item description. My eight line description had shrunk to two lines.

It turns out this is another ebay " improvement ". A brief random section of the description is shown with buyers needing to click on yet another icon to see the full description and sellers terms. No doubt this is to make things simple for the phone app buyers, but will cause further problems for sellers. If a fault or colour is mentioned, but does not show in the grab ebay have selected, we will see a rise in INAD desputes as impatient , want it now phone buyers click "buy" without clicking the link to see the full description.

Looks like we will have to be very carefull in the "item condition " box when listing and need to get all of the important information crammed into the first two lines in the description. Basically we will need to change ( again .....Smiley Frustrated....) the way we do our page layouts when we list items.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ebay editing sellers item description - new format

@gec2002 wrote:

The photos you include are they on the ebay servers are are they hosted on an external site?. 

Just check if you can if the "See full item description" is only occuring when the description is viewed on Chrome Browser, but ok on Fifefox and/or IE.  If that is the case its due to the New Secure Browser requirements that have just been brought in by Google Chrome.

OK I have checked all of the browsers. Chrome and firefox are unaffected. It is IE that has the problem. This could explain why sales are still ticking along quite well. Strange how the stores are affected by the problem, but the non store account is OK.  The larger store came up with the problem first, the smaller store was affected a couple of days later, the non store account is unaffected. All use the same listing techniques. This indicates it is another glitch in ebays systems.

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

I am surprised that you are still using IE with any degree of success.   It is years since ebay said they were no longer going to support it.

Even I have not used it for a number of years as a buyer.

A few of the regulars say they use it on the boards but I don't think anyone is using it for selling.

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

OK you could try resetting IE. Note doing this you will lose your personal settings, but not your bookmarks.

In IE
Click the tools Icon (Looks like a Flower or Gear Cog Top Right)
Click Internet Options
Click Advanced tab
Click Reset (Leave "Delete personal settings check box" UNCHECKED)

See if that helps, if not repeat and this time
Tick "Delete personal settings check box" and click reset.  Note This will delete Passwords, Track Data, Home Page, History etc 

If Still not working clear SSL (New requirements for SSL are causing problems with Chrome)

In IE
Click the tools Icon
Click Internet Options
Click Content tab

Click "Clear SSL State"

Hope one of these helps

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

I've read soooo many different things about this problem (including the message from eBay saying they'll hide your description starting in October, if you have any http references in it).

Seriously, I wish they'd just leave things alone. Chrome is making a change: that's Chrome's problem. eBay is going to make it every eBay seller's problem by forcing them to change all of their listings, or hiding their descriptions if they don't.

Idk about anyone else, but in the lead up to Christmas, I'd rather spend time on new listings, than having to fix up 500+ existing ones so that they comply with this. Zzzz.

Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

In fairness to eBay its not totally their fault, Google Chrome is making the change, and the impact on eBay is that if they do nothing they will be forced down the ranking on Google, and the last time that happened it was a disaster for sellers.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

@gec2002 wrote:

In fairness to eBay its not totally their fault, Google Chrome is making the change, and the impact on eBay is that if they do nothing they will be forced down the ranking on Google, and the last time that happened it was a disaster for sellers.

Right, but there must be a better solution than hiding descriptions. Even if they disabled the images or something (much the same as when an image link doesn't work, and it just doesn't load).

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I am surprised that you are still using IE with any degree of success.   It is years since ebay said they were no longer going to support it.

A few of the regulars say they use it on the boards but I don't think anyone is using it for selling.

I,ve got grumpy old man syndrome. " If it aint broke, dont fix it ". I know others dont get on with IE, but I have never had too many problems. I just keep things simple, without all of the add ons, no scrolly thingies and definately no pretty borders or headings.

Just basic honest text, basic honest pictures and sell to basic honest customers ( most of the time )......... Works for me.......Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

Thanks for all of your advice and help, but if my buyers are using Chrome or Firefox and are seeing my full description, its probably not a drama. I will just continue doing the same old thing, but perhaps pay more attention to getting the condition description right in the appropriate box and will condense more important info into the first two sentances of item description.

Even if ebay are only experimenting with these things at the moment, with the move to more people buying using mobile phone apps, It is probably the way things will go in the future.  If we get our layouts right, it may not actually be a bad thing. Its probably one of those things that it is better to adapt too, rather than fight against.

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

Ooops, posted a blank message!

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I was one of those that used IE just for the forums. It ceased to work here altogether, so now use one of my other browsers.

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Ooops, posted a blank message!

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I was one of those that used IE just for the forums. It ceased to work here altogether, so now use one of my other browsers.

I still use IE for everything including the forums. I rarely have any problems. Maybe 3 times a year I might use chrome if something comes up, but basically I,m pretty happy with the reliability of the system.

I havnt got any answers as to why it works for me except that

I dont use any add ons and only use around half a dozen of the icons on my desktop, so dont have a whole lot of clutter there. Basically I keep everything very simple ( coz I dont know how to do a lot of stuff on the computer anyway, and are not interested in learning......Smiley Tongue    )

I run security scans maybe once every three months and would have tens of thousands of photos clogging up the hard drive rubbish bin from ebay listings. We have broadband fibre to the home which may help, but everything worked alright before this was fitted.

I wear a laptop out every 18 months - 2 years, so they get replaced reasonably often with mid range, proffessional standard units. I buy Toshiba's from a local computer shop at around $1000 a pop and then the guys at the computer shop usually tweak them a bit. Basically it all just keeps on working reliably........most of the time.

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply