Ebay is getting too expensive to sell on

I'm starting to think is it really worth sellling on ebay, we get charged fees on what we sell then we get slugged again on a ebay fee on the postage. We don't profit on postage, and actually loose money, we also have to pay GST on the postage costs also . It we inflate the postage to cover these costs then the customer will shy away as postage is too high. If you increase postage to cover the fees then eBay get an even bigger slice as they take a fee on the higher postage charge.

Seems a win win situation for Ebay, but not so win win for the seller.

May be we should all start selling   just the item and stating postage will be charged separately direct to customer ?

Then ebay won't get a fee on postage cost .

Ebay should take a good look at the situation, if it wasn't for sellers then ebay would have no revenue.Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 85
Latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Although I hate the fees. imagine what eBay would be like if fees were say 1/3 the current price.

It is already so competitve and becoming increasingly harder to sell on eBay. There would be more sellers, more items and even less sales.

What I'm trying to say is that at least high fees deter many sellers and they will use the free options such as Gumtree, Facebook etc.

Message 31 of 85
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Paypal and ebay are overses companies so are not liable for GST....at least not until the Government changes the rules.

and guess who'll be paying hte gst then!

Message 32 of 85
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Paypal and ebay are overses companies so are not liable for GST....at least not until the Government changes the rules.

and guess who'll be paying hte gst then!

The buyers who are the end users of the product being sold.

Message 33 of 85
Latest reply

Maybe the sellers - we've already had to absorb a lot of the fees as otherwise it makes things too expensive for people to buy.

Message 34 of 85
Latest reply

Sellers should build any fees and charges into their prices so they are paid by the buyer.

Any sellers who are liable for GST now have it built into their prices so if ebay are liable for GST they will build it into the fees they charge the sellers, who will in turn pass it along to their buyers.

Message 35 of 85
Latest reply

I just sold my first item on ebay and Im 99% sure it will be my last, way to expensive.

Message 36 of 85
Latest reply

I hope it didn't take you the whole 13 months since this thread was current.

'way to[sic] expensive'  Why? Didn't you check the fees before you listed? Or did you just think they would be what you hoped.

Message 37 of 85
Latest reply

If your average profit is 1000%, I will be steering clear of your items, whatever they are. I dont know of any business that can average that markup. Good luck to you, but thanks for the heads up.

Message 38 of 85
Latest reply

@audistarelectronics wrote:

If your average profit is 1000%, I will be steering clear of your items, whatever they are. I dont know of any business that can average that markup. Good luck to you, but thanks for the heads up.

Given that you don't know what I sell, nor know my selling ID's, you're going to have a bit of trouble trying to avoid me. That said, you're probably pretty safe because I don't sell the kind of stuff you buy.

Message 39 of 85
Latest reply

And how will you know if you are buying anything from Tippy?

She has other accounts for buying and selling and uses this as a posting account.....she has a niche market and obviously prices her items appropriately.

If someone is not happy with her prices they do not have to buy from her....they can cut out the middleman and go straight to her suppliers (if they know who they are).

Message 40 of 85
Latest reply