Ebay item listings - look like a flea market after a hurricane

When a person clicks on your listing, they should see <DRUM ROLL>....... your actual listing.

Instead they see an image and the buy it now button, along with an intrusive ad for Stayz or whatever.  Then you scroll down through two giant rows of SPONSORED listings.

And then the listing right?  Nah.  next you have a wall of text with dozens of items specifics.  And then you see the sellers listing.

There really isn't much point of investing in a nice Listing template.  I mean nobody scrolls down far enough to see it.

I've long observed that few, if any customer reads the listing.  I get why

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ebay item listings - look like a flea market after a hurricane

And your point is?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Very accurate description of how ebay displays listings so poorly. Its even worse on the smaller phone screens as descriptions are not immediately displayed, but need to be navigated to.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry, I don't see any of the 'stuff' you mention

Then again, I have an ad blocker and I use the proper site rather than the app 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I just looked at one of your listings on my computer and you'll be plased to know that at least in this way, I see a lot more of your actual listing.

I prefer the computer as I can also see at a glance who the seller is and their feedback rating etc.

I've noticed on my phone that a lot of details are not immediately apparent.

The sponsored item ads though are still there, before item specifics & item description.

The good news (for you) is most of those ebay suggested items have nothing to do with what is in your ad. On the ad I looked at, a couple though looked to be identical items but dearer.

As a buyer, I don't mind seeing links to identical ads, it can be useful.  But I guess ebay is showing that they don't really care about your particular ad, they are just trying to draw the buyers in to buy something from someone.

Also as a buyer, I always make sure I read the item description. But I know people vary.

At least if a buyer comes back at you about something, you can always point them back to the listing details. Do you have much trouble with buyers complaining about items?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for the effort you've gone to.  I do hope people don't think I was posting here in some desperate attempt to get a few page views ๐Ÿ™‚

I find the ebay listing messy and the ads intrusive.  I get it's Ebay's platform and they have every right to do with it as they will, but no sane online seller would design a listing page like this.  It makes it all too easy for people to just give up and either abandon or buy.  As for the ads, could you imagine walking through Coles and seeing ads for Aldi?  But that's what we endure as sellers.

To answer your question, we don't get too many problems per se.  But it's evident with some questions we get that listings are not read.  Further, we have an offer of free registered postage on orders above $25 and yet daily will receive orders over this value and the customer has paid the upgrade.  We refund of course, but it's further evidence that listings are not read by the majority of buyers.

In conclusion

1) The listing space, which in theory can be curated by the seller with rich HTML features, branding and so on, is in fact not really controlled by the seller.  It is a mess which reduces the value (if any) of investing time and money in customising listings in a meaningful way

2) Listings are often / frequently ignored or not read.  The shambles that the listings are is a reason why (not THE reason, but certainly a reason)

Having listings that are uncluttered might encourage people to read listings.  It would reduce admin, refunds, and expensive double handling of product due to returns, customer complaints and dissatisfaction.

The reason the situation is perpetuated is because the upside is enjoyed by Ebay (selling sponsored listings) and the downsides are all borne by the seller.

Rectifying this might attract large brands to the platform.  Why would a major brand ever sell on the platform if their listings are spammed with listings from unofficial sellers or competitive brands.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

You're right that the downside of the format is all borne by the seller.

If I had to compare it to the real bricks and mortar stores, I would liken it to Ikea, where you are forced to walk through a maze that takes you through every department before you can buy. The obvious object of the exercise is to show you as much as possible and tempt you to buy something else but it can be confusing for customers.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

You're right that the downside of the format is all borne by the seller.

Yes but not really.

In reality the seller who pays the extra $'s for their listing,  are getting the ads thrown up for the buyers to consider.  As it should be,  if I am paying more for my ad by paying promotional fee's I want them in front of the buyers eyes.

I say this although I do not pay for promoted ad's, and as such mine also get plastered by additional advertising,  but thats life,  if you want it, you pay for it.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply