Ebay should be more fairer to Australian Sellers

If Ebay Australia is going to allow overseas sellers(predominately Chinese) to sell on Ebay this is fair enough,but I believe Ebay should be more fairer to Australian sellers by making that all Australian seller listings appear first in the list when a person types in a search word.

The way the system is now,a person has to go to the left side of screen and click "Australia only" to only see Australian listings and this is a lot of effort and causes a great disadvantage to Australian sellers.

If Ebay made it that that Australia seller listing appeared first,then this would help Australian sellers to compete better and at the same time it wouldn't be too much of a disadvantage to Chinese (or other) sellers as they still could sell on Ebay and Ebay would still make money from their listings/sales.

Can I get your opinions please?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Hi - dont mean to be a pain but your grammar got to me.   There is no such word as "fairer"  -

Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

100% agree.

We have just written to our local federal MP who was very interested to hear about this situation.

He phoned me back about it and said he would be writing a letter to ebay to request them to change the default search filter to "Australia ONLY" as you suggest.

I would recommend you also approach your own local MP as the more letters ebay Australia receive we might stand some chance of getting this default changed.

Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

I disagree. Whilst I have a lot of issues with some of the stuff that comes out of China in terms of quality and authenticity ( a lot of it is also imported into Australia and sold by Australians however)  eBay is a global market place advertises itself as such and should be accepted as such. If you buy cheap from China you should expect slow freight and low quality goods and if its fast or good then prepare for pleasant surprise!  You can sell elsewhere if you dont like competing with the Chinese. It's retail and the best man wins!   If your MP wants to write a letter to eBay about the lack of policing of counterfeit goods however, Chinese or otherwise I am all for it! I think my MP is too busy trying to get his snout out of the trough to write any such letter!!

Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

Ok thanks.

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@luxequalitygems wrote:

The way the system is now,a person has to go to the left side of screen and click "Australia only" to only see Australian listings and this is a lot of effort and causes a great disadvantage to Australian sellers.

A lot of effort to click once to refine your search?

You don't have much faith in Australian buyers, do you?

Most of us are happy to refine our searches if we only want to buy from Australia.

Personally I prefer to search for the item that I really want....I don't care where it comes from for the most part.  Only if it is time critical do I refine my search to Australia, although it often backfires because Australia Post can be pathetically slow at times.

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

@lustrekate wrote:

Hi - dont mean to be a pain but your grammar got to me.   There is no such word as "fairer"  -

Perhaps you should check your facts before correcting other members.

There are uses for the word fairer....the OP is correct, BUT she should have left out the word "more"....there is not such thing as more fairer.

It should be more fair or fairer.

Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

Yes, that's much more betterer, Lyndal     

Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

I also buy a lot of  "cheap" things from China for myself.I dont have an issue with Chinese sellers selling on Ebay and I want everyone to be able to better their circumstances regardless where they are from.

My issue is just that Australian listings should apper first in searches.

What your perspective fails to consider is that some people may be "lazy" ,may not be bothered to search through all the listings so they may never even come across the Australaian ones.

Not everyone (including myself ) has the patience to scroll through to page 3 or 5 so it's hardly a fair system if many Australian listings are not even being SEEN by buyers.

It would be fair enough if the Australian listings were being easily seen by buyers but then they still decided to buy from a Chinese (or other ) seller but it's not fair if they arn't being seen.

Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

Lol.

Im an Australian buyer who buys a lot on Ebay and for me it is an effort to each time click and I get sick of it.

It has to be considered/kept in mind that there are probably buyers like you for whom it is no effort but also buyers like me who it is an effort so we need to take a "wide view" of the whole market.

Message 10 of 59
Latest reply