Ebay should be more fairer to Australian Sellers

If Ebay Australia is going to allow overseas sellers(predominately Chinese) to sell on Ebay this is fair enough,but I believe Ebay should be more fairer to Australian sellers by making that all Australian seller listings appear first in the list when a person types in a search word.

The way the system is now,a person has to go to the left side of screen and click "Australia only" to only see Australian listings and this is a lot of effort and causes a great disadvantage to Australian sellers.

If Ebay made it that that Australia seller listing appeared first,then this would help Australian sellers to compete better and at the same time it wouldn't be too much of a disadvantage to Chinese (or other) sellers as they still could sell on Ebay and Ebay would still make money from their listings/sales.

Can I get your opinions please?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Ebay should be more fairer to Australian Sellers

Yes,I'm aware that I made a typo on the word Australian.
Message 11 of 59
Latest reply

I am a registered member of ebay Australia not any other country.

I sell on ebay Australia and not any other country. This is due to high international postage costs.

Ebay Australia is registered in Sydney, and while I acknowledge it is a global company, this part of it is Australian based.

As such I believe they ought to be giving priority to Australian based sellers. Same deal perhaps for every other country in which ebay operate.

This could very easily be done as the OP suggested by changing the default filter to AU ONLY.

A searcher (buyer) could still change that default to the world if they wished to.

Every dollar that is spent on goods imported into Australia is lost and is bad for our internal economy.

Imports are bad for our economy, exports are good for it.

Another reason why it is better for AU to keep the dollars inside AU where possible, and support Australian local small business.

My local federal MP agress with that view, hence why he chose to support my letter and write to ebay on my behalf.

Message 12 of 59
Latest reply

I've just email a MP too.

Thanks for the suggestion-hopefully they will take notice:)

Message 13 of 59
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

I am a registered member of ebay Australia not any other country.

I sell on ebay Australia and not any other country. This is due to high international postage costs.

Ebay Australia is registered in Sydney, and while I acknowledge it is a global company, this part of it is Australian based.

As such I believe they ought to be giving priority to Australian based sellers. Same deal perhaps for every other country in which ebay operate.

This could very easily be done as the OP suggested by changing the default filter to AU ONLY.

A searcher (buyer) could still change that default to the world if they wished to.

Every dollar that is spent on goods imported into Australia is lost and is bad for our internal economy.

Imports are bad for our economy, exports are good for it.

Another reason why it is better for AU to keep the dollars inside AU where possible, and support Australian local small business.

My local federal MP agress with that view, hence why he chose to support my letter and write to ebay on my behalf.

And where do you purchase the raw materials that you make into the items you sell Clarry?

Methinks the answer is probably China.

Message 14 of 59
Latest reply

It's such an "Australian" attitude to think that you have the right to appear first in listings on an Australian site because you're Australian. I just don't get it.

Simply ebay is a global retail platform not an Australian one and it is up to the individual where they choose to sell. If you dont want to sell internationally that's fine. But don't expect special treatment on the Austrlaian site just because you're an Australian seller that defies any form of coherent logic whatsoever.  I'm glad the industrious chinese are giving a few people a run for their money I just dont agree with selling products that are counterfeit.

Message 15 of 59
Latest reply

Yes we do. But if they were available in AU that's where we would source them from.

The only place they are manufactured is in China. Not even India..... yet.

Message 16 of 59
Latest reply

You wouldn't buy them from Australia if you could get them here but you could still get them cheaper from China.

I have mixed feelings on this issue. If anyone pays for a store on this site (Aussie ebay) or pays for listings, or is entitled to free listings, they're entitled to equal footing with everyone else when it comes to how things are seen. Lobbying might get ebay to change the default search but it might be seen as discriminating against overseas sellers who've paid for or are entitled to the same benefits as local sellers.

Message 17 of 59
Latest reply

I remember when I would search on eBay and all the domestic listings would show first then in a seperate section, all the International listings would show.

And you could also have ending soonest as your default or cheapest first.

It would remain unchanged once you selected it.

I think it is a great idea to have the default to show Aussie items first and if the office of 'Buy Australian' is still going they would probably run with the ball on giving eBay incentives to change it if someone calls them.

image host
Message 18 of 59
Latest reply

Getting the default changed to Australia Only is not going to stop international sellers appearing in the search results. If a Chinese seller ONLY posts that item to Australia and nowhere else in the world, it will show in the results. If a US seller only posts that item to Australia and nowhere else in the world, it will show in the results.

Australian sellers who post to Australia only will show up in the results. Australian sellers who post overseas DON'T show up in the results. By having that setting as the default, you are eliminating thousands of Australian sellers from being seen, while sellers from other countries WILL be seen. Where is the fairness in that? Don't those sellers deserve to be seen too? Or don't you care about them?

Most of my items I collect from garage sales. There are other items that do compete with the Chinese. My prices are way higher than theirs and I have no problems moving those items. I don't try and compete with overseas sellers because I can't. Quite often buyers are happy to pay a much higher price because they usually get it quicker and in the rare event of an issue, it's much easier to sort out.

The 'Default' setting is fair for most people in Australia. Australia only isn't. I don't post overseas so altering the setting won't affect me, but I believe in fairness for all.

Message 19 of 59
Latest reply

I don't think it's just an "Australian" attitude.

Im an Australian from a Non English speaking background (ie:wog) & I think Australian seller listings should appear first on Ebay Australia and that includes all Australian sellers regardless of whether they are Australians from English background,Chinese background or European background etc.

I also think if there was an Ebay China that their first listings should be from China based sellers and likewise for Ebay USA etc.

Message 20 of 59
Latest reply