Ebay want's ALL MY PERSONAL details!!!

morhuk
Community Member

I am extremely unhappy about the information eBay wants from me to receive payments.
If eBay gets hacked, the hacker gets:

• My name
  • My address
  • My drivers licence
  • My date of birth
  • My bank account details!

And eBay keep this - even after verifying my account!!!
This is too high risk for me!

Why can't they simply transfer to my credit card if you don't want to pay into my paypal account?

I'll bet all those Chinese companies on eBay won't be providing those details!!! What will they do instead? Why do they get away with it, and not me?

If there are no alternatives, I will strongly need to consider not using eBay in future.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

If your bank gets hacked, ditto.

If Paypal gets hacked, ditto.

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

You are not a Chinese company 

Why would'nt the same rules apply to you as they do all other sellers in Australia ? (well, 99.9% anyway)

There are alternatives. sell elsewhere

eBay are not going to care 

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

under Managed Payments eBay are inserting themselves into the payment of items and transferring funds from sales to sellers.

Under Australian Law eBay are now legally bound to verify the identity of those involved in financial transactions through eBay.  This includes verifying where funds will be paid and who the account holder is.

Are you familiar with Anti-Money Laundering laws in Australia?

Put simply, eBay are just following Australian Law in establishing your identity.  They are also bound by Australian Law in regards to the privacy of those they gather information from.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

You are wrong with your assumption of the Chinese eBayers, MP is being rolled out there now.

Also to hacking of eBay :

The only time it happened was in about February / March of 2014 Ebay was hacked.  The site was hacked.  The hackers were able to get the passwords on quite a few accounts.  However that is encrypted information and the hackers were never able to break the coding, so they never got to our more sensitive information.  So no one lost any financial info and Ebay did have some as sellers put in auto payment information for the Monthly Seller Invoice and some sellers had credit cards as a back up funding source.  But the Ebay security held up to this attack and sellers were no worse for the wear. 

Four Australian banks (in the last 10 years) can't claim the same.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

@morhuk wrote:

I'll bet all those Chinese companies on eBay won't be providing those details!!! What will they do instead? Why do they get away with it, and not me?

If there are no alternatives, I will strongly need to consider not using eBay in future.

surely you are not saying that Chinese sellers have it easy!  Surely you are not of the view that they have more freedoms than Aussies!

What will they do instead?

Chinese sellers will have to abide by Chinese law . . . and there is a mountain of evidence that Chinese citizens do not enjoy the freedoms that we do.  I know I wouldn’t want to be bound by their ‘social credit’ system of surveillance.

There are several aspects to the Chinese social credit system, including a financial aspect:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

From that web page:

In April 2019, the People's Bank of China announced that a new version of the Personal Credit Report would be put out which allows the ability to collect more personal information. State-run media has described it as "more detailed, more comprehensive and more precisely."

I would gladly provide any information that eBay needs to meet the requirements of Australian financial regulation than live under the Chinese social credit system.

You make the decision that is best for you . . . but do it for the right reasons . . . and take responsibility for your decision and don’t blame eBay for your decision just because they are following Australian Law.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

When you signed up to eBay initially you had to provide all that information, except the driver licence and dob.

you had to provide your name, address, phone number, and bank details so what’s the difference.

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

The difference is that the amount of info now being requested is a higher level of personal data - enough, if hacked, for someone to create a false identity. Initial info provided to eBay did not include drivers licence , dob or passport info

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

Big difference. Driver licence number and date of birth are key for identity theft. Name and address are fine.

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

garage_sale_here
Community Member

And we wonder why identity theft has become so prevalent and seemingly so easy.

As people just hand out their personal information without question.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply