FURTHER TO "buy it now" ebay has it both ways.

stromper-gd
Community Member

Contacted Res Centre re 'buy it now"(BIN).

1/ BIN with PayPal(PP) introduced to cover sellers from dodgy buyers.

2/ BIN without PP,buyer "may have their own reasons" as to why they do not pay immediately... and ....the buyer is misusing the BIN feature by doing so, does knowingly misusing the BIN mean dishonesty..yes.

3/ eBay advises all to inspect where possible before sale,so do I.

Decided to put my boat back on once more WITH PP.

Guess what, 3 offers and no dishonest manipulation of the BIN by ending the sale and blocking honest bidders/eBayers.

stromper-gd.

Message 1 of 95
Latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Re: FURTHER TO "buy it now" ebay has it both ways.

And expects a buyer to come and inspect the item, go home, buy it, then come back and pick it up after paying with Paypal.

Message 41 of 95
Latest reply

And expects a buyer to come and inspect the item, go home, buy it, then come back and pick it up after paying with Paypal.

Chapter 2.

After three months the credit card holder tells their bank they do not know what this fraudulent transaction is for, the bank contact Paypal and say pay us back...............NOW. Paypal contact seller and ask for documented, idependant proof of the item being sent to the buyer's address. Seller says get lost, they picked it up so don't have any buyer protection. Paypal say sorry pal but that only applies to not as described, this is a bank chargeback and you pay up now or it will cost you an extra fifteen bucks. Seller says ya boo sucks I have already emptied my Paypal account.

Epilogue

Buyer is sitting under a bridge warming  his pickings from Red Rooster's dumpster over a small fire and is heard to mutter "Why didn't I listen to those boardies, how was I to know that they knew what they were talking about? Who would have thought that emptying my Paypal and bank accounts would lead to me ending up with the bailifs at my door and my credit ruined so I could not get a mortgage and nobody would rent to me. I really thoght I could make the scamming buyer pay but how can you bring a small court claim against somebody who has used a stolen credit card and does not live at the address they gave me"

THE END

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 42 of 95
Latest reply

stromper-gd
Community Member

Hello to all the midnight jollies with little better to do than to snipe.

I screened people successfully for this sale. Been thrown garbage about come see,have to go back and hit BIN  ,go pick up later.Garbage.eBay is a virtual news sheet

Paranoia about anything but cash abounds. I was born in the 40's,you try to tell me about"scams",another new word, same old thing.

Not one mention of the moral/legal use of BIN.(1/2answer)

I ALWAYS use Paypal to purchase. Irrespective of what I ADVERTISE as payment method when selling,it is I that has the final say,not PP. I have been very successful

I had cleared funds pre sale.

I took advice from the decent folk on here,once again my thanks, to the rest,  Wait---out.

Message 43 of 95
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I was born in the 40s too, but I have managed to progress with the times and understand the pitfalls of using paypal for pickup items.

I also am happy to admit that I snipe on ebay. Somehow I think that the way you are using the word is not the same as the accepted ebay meaning of the word.

Message 44 of 95
Latest reply

sparkes9669
Community Member

😄

love this thread

Message 45 of 95
Latest reply

stromper-gd
Community Member

I wasn't going to answer, but, another word for sniping/accepted use of on eBay!. Are you Taswegian lyndal?You have progressed alright,to describing eBay as your religion

Message 46 of 95
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am not Taswegian....I have spent 64 of my 67 years in Sydney.

I find it offensive that you equate ebay with a religion.

Just because I make it my business to understand and use the terminology of a service that I am using does not make me a zealot, which I assume you are alluding to.

To snipe on ebay is to place a bid in the last few minutes/seconds of an auction, which is what most experienced ebayers do.

Message 47 of 95
Latest reply

If you are referring to me as a "midnight jolly" then you are half right, I am certainly a happy go lucky, jolly person but I was not posting at midnight or anywhere near it, if it it was midnight in Aus then it was 9am here so I was a "breakfast jolly"

Incidentaly I was born in the 40s too and have enough life experience to know that as a buyer or seller I would never, ever use Paypal for a pick up transaction.

Of course to understand why you would actually have to read their policies.......................and understand them!

Sniping means either shooting somebody from a concealed position or putting in a bid at the last moment.

The first I have never tried, although tempted. The second I do all the time.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 48 of 95
Latest reply

verb (used without object)

4. to shoot or hunt snipe.

5. to shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed or distant position: The enemy was sniping from the roofs.

I think the OP was referring to this one

6. to attack a person or a person's work with petulant or snide criticism, especially anonymously or from a safe distance.

any of several long-billed game birds of the genera Gallinago  (Capella ) and Limnocryptes,  inhabiting marshy areas, as G. gallinago (common snipe),  of Eurasia and North America, having barred and striped white, brown, and black plumage.

Unless either of you are a species of long billed water birds..:^O

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 49 of 95
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Yes patch, the OP was referring to us making snide comments. I only hope for his sake that his buyer does not commence a chargeback.  That is a lot of money to lose. And just because the money is no longer in his paypal account does not mean he is home safe...paypal will just send in the debt collectors.

Message 50 of 95
Latest reply