Fake PayPal phishing emails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You sent a payment of $79.3 AUD to eBay International AG (AU-AdCommerce-EOM@ebay.com)

Is it my imagination or do these con artist emails seem to arrive close to receiving genuine PayPal emails ?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Fake PayPal phishing emails.

I dunno termalert, but they seem to come in batches, that's for sure.

I guess it only takes a very small percentage to click on the links and they've hit paydirt!

Is it worth repeating the golden rule??

Never ever click on a link in an email supposedly coming from paypal or ebay - check by logging in DIRECTLY to your account!

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes...one of those silly people was ME...lol

Years ago.

Luckily my account didn't have much in it so

when the light bulb went off I scurried back and changed password.

I often wonder how many people have also had a 'key stroke logger' on board. This would mean password changes wouldn't do the trick.

In these times I always hover over the link to see where it is 'really' going.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

In these times I always hover over the link to see where it is 'really' going.

I don't even bother doing that.  I just forward the email to spoof@paypal.com.au

Wouldn't want to even accidently click the link while hovering.

josiebeetle
Community Member
What happens if you click the link?????
Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

What happens if you click the link?????

You will be taken to a fake but very realistic looking Paypal sign in page and once you input the details the scammers have access to your Paypal account.

they will probably also try and log into your ebay account and if you are like many people and have the same password they will have control of that too.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

I would be suspicious automatically of an email purportedly from PAYPAL that was from EBAY by the header/link.

C'mon, this is so amateur.

Paypal and eBay are separate entities, legally and practically.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

terrigd
Community Member

I too was foolish and clicked on the 'cancel transaction' link. I didn't have to enter my bank details or anything. A day later, my debit card got hacked. TWICE. Well, twice succesffuly. THey tried to take out over $170 in one transaction, and my bank wised up. THey placed a hold on my debit card, alerted me to possible fraud, and when I confirmed that the transactions had been fraudulet, they stopped my debit card, issued a new one, and now I'm in the process of getting my money back,. God bless you, Westpac!        

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

lennylenny87
Community Member

i had a guy try and get me with one of these lastnight, going by the name mark anderson, first said he was buying my item then said he would make the payment straight away throu paypal but then said he would deposit extra so i could pay for shipping costs for him but to do that id have to pay by western union (first major warning sign) and then i had a very convincing email that appeared to be from paypal until i put my mouse over the name in the senders box and surprise surprise it looked like this ..

service@paypal.com.auยฎ

customershelpdesk@secureroot.com

anyone with some form of curiosity would do the logical thing and look up what secureroot.com is... turns out its an information and resourse page for hackers and scammers. so i quite pleasanly told him to place his head inside his anus and get a real job

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

lennylenny87
Community Member

he said he deposited the money but that paypal wouldnt let the payment go through until i supplyed the money transfer num (this is also what was written in the fake paypal email)

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply