First time ever seller and I want to get it right from the get go

Hi all, so I only just got into the online shopping world and it took me a month or so of buying to learn how it all works but now i'm looking to start selling some stuff but i have no clue how to do this.

So could someone give me a walkthrough on how you sell something on ebay properly (listing items, payment methods and postage). I literally have no idea so I can be moulded into the perfect ebay seller if everyone helps me and who knows maybe you'll end up seeing something you like on my page someday. Thanking anyone for any input you have on this matter 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: First time ever seller and I want to get it right from the get go

My advice pure and simple is baby steps and always be accurate in your item description and double check the item you are selling works even if you have to open an unopened package buyers will give you a lot of grief over things that seem trivial to you but ive found no matter how trivial their complaint if you treat em with respect and show you are taking their concerns seriously they are easily dealt with, however some ive just told where to go as you know for a fact they are being utterly petty.  You will find a lot of buyers are grateful for there online experience with you as chances are if they are buying online they have researched the product and have chosen you for one reason or another however beware there is an element that expects something for nothing as i said i even open boxs to check item is working and have had customers accuse me because of this of selling used products just be alert.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Hi be aware that selling is a very different experience to buyting on ebay, i find ebay a great place to buy, all teh fees and responsibililties are the sellers, buyers hold the whip hand. But remember that when you become a seller all that changes, you can't even leave negative feedback for buyers who richly deserve it, the fees eat at your profits and just one disaster like an item broken in the post takes your earnings on many transactions. Personally i love buying and hate selling on ebay, but good luck to you and i hope you have a good selling experience.

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

redpaj
Community Member

Always send your items registered post. Then the buyers can't say they didn't get it when they did and you will be covered if a dispute occurs.

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

Always send your items registered post. Then the buyers can't say they didn't get it when they did and you will be covered if a dispute occurs.

ditto to the above.

I learnt the hard way and now send all my items registered

photo walkingdeadtag_zpsbaca2fdd.jpg
Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

For cheaper items you will price yourself out of the market if you charge for registered post on parcels, it can be cost effective if posting a large letter.

For parcels the cheapest way to send with tracking to Paypal standard is click & send, still cheaper than red satchels. They cover a maximum compensation of $50, you can increase this to $100 by adding signature required for an extra dollar. You print the labels on line and insert them in the pocket of the ebay satchels that you can purchase on ebay.

For anything over $100 it is about the same price for registered with extra cover.

I don't know what you intend selling but there are proscriptions against posting certain items, you cannot post perfumes without a dangerous goods license, you must post items containing lithium batteries with a road only sticker and they cannot be posted express or overseas.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

The pit fall in being a seller is that allowing some extra time in the beginning to set up the business and factoring in the cost of posting and the legal side of posting what where and how, cause this the area where you will loose most of your profit if you haven't done your homework.

Now I am not saying that it's all hard work but it will feel like it for the first 3-6 months, also keep an eye on your emails and have hard and fast rule to check them at least 3 times a day and respond to all questions no matter if you think it's a stupid ?

what I have found in all my years of being in business is communication is key. Prompt replies will get you the sale more often than not and knowledge of your product is key.

One other thing don't get upset if or when you get a negative feedback deal with it the best way you can then move on cause I have learnt that you can only please some people most of the time and no people all the time.

Also once you have a great rating it's easy to maintain it, but even easier to loose it and take one transaction at a time and before you know it you'll be making a profit and working less for it.

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

Prompt replies will get you the sale more often than not and knowledge of your product is key.

You will sell even better if all the information a buyer needs is in the listing, I never email sellers with questions, I just move on to another seller who takes the time to put all the info in to start with.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you take any notice of any of this garbage the responses you have received are from those who want you to fail. Do the opposite I did. 

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Hi there Remember when you sell something to go back in and relist it because once it is sold it will deisappear. Good Luck and also dont listen to other ebayers telling you how much money they make it is all rubbish Aust Post makes the most but if you need a hobby its a good way to start and when you grow you will make money. Crawl before you walk as the saying goes. All the best

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

By the way You can check with eBay what you can and cant sell. Otherwise if you list it they will just take it off.

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply