First tracking event after lodgement at PO

When an item has been lodged OTC at the PO and a tracking number issued, does anybody know what the next tracking event would be? Is the item scanned by the driver who picks it up to take it to the DC or is it not scanned again until it actually arrives at the DC for sorting?

Reason I ask is that a friend has received notice from their client in Melbourne that an item which was lodged (and scanned) at the local PO on August 8 has still not arrived, and according to AP, there was no further scanning event logged after the item was initially lodged over the counter at the receiving PO.

We are therefore trying to determine if the item went missing at the PO itself, or somewhere between the PO and the DC (depending upon whether or not the delivery driver is meant to scan the item when it is picked up from the PO for delivery to the DC).

We've queried AP over this but they have mysteriously gone very quiet about the subject.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: First tracking event after lodgement at PO

In general I tend to agree, but did you read my OP where my friend is down quite a large amount of money because one or more AP employees stuffed up severely? Put yourself in her position then ask yourself how you'd be feeling right now.
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

There isn't much point in trackable post, if a parcel can't be tracked ( because it wasn't scanned) in the event of it not being delivered to the recipient.

Does AP just say too bad, nothing we can do when a trackable parcel is lost?
Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

What stages in the delivery journey are captured?

Tracking descriptions you are likely to see for your chosen delivery service are listed below. These may receive fewer or additional scans during the delivery process.

Domestic services

eBay Flat Rate Satchels and Flat Rate Boxes

Accepted by Australia Post (only received when an item is lodged over the counter)
In transit
On board with driver
Delivered

Parcel Post

Accepted by Australia Post (only received when an item is lodged over the counter)
In transit
Delivered

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/our-tracking-service.html
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Yep, that's pretty much it. No extra cover was purchased so discretionary compensation of $50 should be payable, but even that's likely to be a bit of a battle.
Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

I'm in NSW and anything I've posted via Parcel Post gets scanned when I lodge it over the counter, scanned again when it reaches its destination PO where it says Awaiting Collection, then scanned when the recipient collects it. I've never had any scans in between, so if something does get lost, there is no way of finding where it is between here and the destination.

Even China Post has a far better tracking system! You know where it is all the time.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply