Full refund for honest mistake negative feedback left

Some people are so rude they look at your add read your add then make a bid won it! Pay for it get it and then demands a refund claiming item is not as described even though the pictures are clear and persise and the item is exactly as described except for one word error! So you apologise and do full refund just to have a negative feedback left claiming your a dodgy seller not on buyers who can not read!
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@screamingdemon_2007 wrote:

Welcome to the world of online selling.  

Some buyers are just #$%#$, grin and bare it.

I would agree with you only if the buyer knew that the item was not a genuine Leatherman but still bought the item knowing that they would be returning it i.e. it is a malicious purchase.

Many buyers do not pay a lot of attention to photos and descriptions and rely on Titles when deciding whether to bid/buy on eBay.  The inclusion of a word synonymous with this type of tool BUT inferring that the item is a genuine Leatherman would be a legitimate buyer complaint.

From looking at the Opening Poster's completed listings it looks like they use the word "Leatherman" when they list these multi-tools even when they are not genuine Leathermans.

For many people, the use of the word Leatherman is just a way of indicating that what they are talking about is a multi-tool regardless of brand.  It reminds me of the poster who came to the boards about a listing of theirs that was pulled by eBay for using the word "Velcro".  I know I use "Velcro" when talking about any hook-and-loop fastener . . . . . . . and I think that is the trap that the OP has fallen into by using a word simply because it is widely used by ordinary folk to identify multi-tools.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The thing is, that one word is a pretty vital word. It's not a Leatherman and shouldn't have been called that. It doesn't matter what the photos show, both your title and miniscule description both say it was a Leatherman and it's not. I wouldn't have been happy either. I probably wouldn't have left you bad feedback, but it's the buyers perogative to do that as they weren't happy. 

The rest of your feedback is good. You won't be able to get that feedback removed, so the best thing to do is reply, apologising for the error in the listing and that you take full responsibility. It shows other buyers that you will own up if you make a mistake and you won't abuse them like plenty do.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

@wellthatsabargain1968 wrote:
Some people are so rude they look at your add read your add then make a bid won it! Pay for it get it and then demands a refund claiming item is not as described even though the pictures are clear and persise and the item is exactly as described except for one word error! So you apologise and do full refund just to have a negative feedback left claiming your a dodgy seller not on buyers who can not read!

I hope you got your item back before you refunded them.

It sounds like a pretty harsh buyer. I'd be interested to know what the word was that was an error.

But even if it was a pivotal part of the description, the fact you made a full refund and apologised should not have got you a neg.

In fact I would give you a positive because any seller can look good when everything goes smoothly but it is when there is a problem that the true colours show. A seller who will fix a mistake, that's gold.

But some buyers are just unreasonable, not a lot you can do about it although you can answer the neg with a calm response-something along the lines of. Wrote x instead of y in ad, apologised & refunded in full buyer still not happy.

New buyers won't worry too much about a neg if they know it was for a minor issue you tried to fix.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

A bit rough when you refund and apologise.

as for the buyer, add them to your Special" list. You can bend over backwards for some buyers but no matter what you do, they will trash your feedback because they can. 

On on the other hand you can get some buyers who are thankful and appreciative when you try to do all you can. AP recently lost one of my parcels, so I fully refunded my buyer, she was so patient, so I offered her free postage on the next item she purchases (if she was interested in purchasing from me again). Well, I received the nicest email from this buyer, saying she thought I was just the nicest, kind person!

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Sorry but thats not a small typo error, in fact its deliberate product wordspamming. Leathermans are expensive brand of tool. Its not just a generic name for a multi tool. What you are selling is a cheap version of a multi tool. If a buyer was expecting a leatherman they would be massively dissapointed and hence it would have been a negative buying experience, as they are both disapointed and inconvenienced, and you are in damage control from that moment on.

Take it as a lesson to be more specific with your decriptions. It like selling a pair of Nike runners, that are actually from Rivers, then claiming honest mistake.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

It just gets worse. OP, you really should be careful of your feedback left for others. You are violating a number of policies and if the buyers complain, eBay will remove them and you'll get a slap. Too many slaps and you'll never sell on here again, nor will anyone in your house. You can't leave a negative comment with a green dot.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Further on from my last message, you left feedback for your buyer stating the buyer can't read. The buyer read exactly what was written, yet didn't get a Leatherman tool, they got a cheap knock off. I think your feedback left for the buyer is worse than what they left for you. At least their feedback was honest.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

The OP very good at breaking the feedbak rules too....he leaves a lot of false positives.

But even more interesting he has just ended all his listings.....Maybe they would have made interesting reading....did he make similar "mistakes" in more than one listing?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@wellthatsabargain1968 wrote:

After reading all the replies I went to have a look at this ad and feedback.Smiley Happy

I do believe you made an honest mistake. I believe this because if you look at the title for that ad, it says Tallzall pro when in fact it is Toolzall pro.

Perhaps you thought all these tools were called leathermans, same as people may call a pen a biro when that is in fact a brand name.

I'd put the ad mistakes down to carelessness rather than anything deliberate.

What it probably means is you need to be careful when loading ads, proof read, double check. Spelling & brand names are important.

A good way to find some key words might be to google. I noticed ads for toolzall call it a multi tool.

But getting the name wrong (for anything you sell) in your title is going to work against you as no buyers will ever find it by doing a specific search. Unfortunately your buyer probably searched 'leatherman' & your ad came up.

Mind you, a look at the photos should have put a question mark in his mind as the word leatherman isn't on the tool, which it would be on a genuine one. But you called it leatherman in title & description so yep, you were careless & have paid the price.

Just one thing about feedback from my point of view. When a buyer does the wrong thing-doesn't pay etc. I would never, ever give them positive feedback. Never. All you're doing is pushing up their score & making them look better.  Plus a negative comment with a positive dot might get you into trouble with ebay & the buyer can just get it removed anyway.

Better not to leave bad buyers any feedback at all.

Best option is if someone gives a neutral or negative feedback for you, you can reply to them, under that bad feedback. Make it calm, say you refunded or whatever you did.

I'm usually a buyer & I look at what negs a seller has before I buy. It's the first thing i click on. If a seller has replied well to a neg, then I don't worry about it & still go ahead and buy.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The OP very good at breaking the feedbak rules too....he leaves a lot of false positives.

But even more interesting he has just ended all his listings.....Maybe they would have made interesting reading....did he make similar "mistakes" in more than one listing?

Things seemed to be OK until fairly recently. Pages of appropriate feedback ( except on a couple of rare occasions ) Now every green dot is a false positive. Either the OP has had a run of very bad luck recently or some-one else has taken over an existing account that may have been mainly run by another family member perhaps and the new seller may not be familiar with ebay rules all round..

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply