Giving ebay banking passwords **bleep**! for managed payments? are you serious

Going through the enforced managed payments (Why isn't this an opt-out issue?) Im required to give ebay my client number and password is this correct?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Giving ebay banking passwords **bleep**! for managed payments? are you serious

Not sure if this works as I registered before this seemed to be introduced, but this bypass has been successfully used on the US site: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Is-User-Name-and-Password-of-Bank-required-to-sign-up-for/m-p...

Otherwise, I would sign in, get verified, then immediately change passwords. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Giving ebay banking passwords **bleep**! for managed payments? are you serious

Not sure if this works as I registered before this seemed to be introduced, but this bypass has been successfully used on the US site: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Is-User-Name-and-Password-of-Bank-required-to-sign-up-for/m-p...

Otherwise, I would sign in, get verified, then immediately change passwords. 

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Quite weird that the system is asking for your banking password - that's a definite no-no.

Are you sure they're not just asking for your BSB and account number?

Can you screenshot the details?

Crazy if it is the case and even crazier that people have to find a work around in order to avoid it.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

No Financial Institution in Australia would ever ask via electronic means for any "password" associated with an Account they held, EVER.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

It is a legitimate rapid means of verifying  that the account information provided is correct.  As per Digi', post

and I have also posted before, you should be able to bypass the need to provide your password, or simply  change the password after your account has been verified.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I changed mine as soon as I was verified. On my next account, I only had to provide DL, BSB and account numbers. Probably because I was already verified. They are taking due fees (for my store) from Paypal, so they don't need the access they no longer have to my bank account.

Many people overthink things, or see hackers/conspiracies around every corner.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I have the same problem with giving out my internet banking number AND password. Even when using Paypal you never had to give them your secure CRN (netbanking number) and password for them to deposit money into your account. The new system requires you to add a bank account so ebay can pass on funds to you (a bank acc number that ebay already have already by the way). The thing is you are not giving out your banking details to ebay...you are giving them to TRUSTLY via a popup window. TRUSTLY is the Swedish company that handles all the payments. The only time I'll be putting my internet banking number and password into any screen is if I've personally gone to my banks own website and used their login window. I certainly won't be doing it via a pop-up window provided by  anyone else outside my bank. .. And certainly not TRUSTLY, a company and name I've never heard of. The following pic is the screens you come across while adding your bank account. The 3rd screen picture here wants your most secure and private banking info and it's not even and ebay screen. It's supposedly a secure bank login but it contains links back to Trustly. How can it be a secure bank login page if it contain outside links to other companies? The User notice and privacy links at the bottom of the login screen link back to Trustly and not the ANZ in my case.bank info request.jpg

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Capture.JPG

eBay do not control the financial side, Paypal may have your account details, but eBay don't. You are now providing bank details to Adyen who are registered as a financial institution in Australia. Please reaad the other replies on this topic before getting too worked up about it.

And remember you can always refuse, it just means you won't be selling on eBay any more

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Also read dgital*ghosts reply ^^^^ I think there may be a way around it.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

its true.. there asking for personal bank details.aaaaaaaaaaa.JPG

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply