HELP PLEASE

We sold a gas log fire (eneded 31 days ago) seller picked up a few days later and paid cash - they were very happy with the unit, we described it as the model number that came with the operating instructions we got it with (picture is the same on the front of the operating manual so corresponds in my eyes!) and we advertised it as needing a clean as it's been sitting in the shed for 12 months.

Now these buyers have just phoned us tonight to say that they want some money refunded as they've had to spend money on the unit.  They are upset that it's not natural gas (we didn't specify what gas it was as most are LPG and every other serious bidder actually contacted us and asked) but again we just said it was gas - didn't specify LPG or Natural.  They said they had to put a mantle around it (how the hell is that our problem?!) AND they said they've pulled the logs out of it, added pebbles etc (again - how is that our problem?!) - but clearly they've modified it.  Now i should mention they've also installed it. 

They are trying to tell us we've sold them a different model number but what they are giving us sounds like a seriel not model number (so obviously different!!!)  We asked for a picture of the so called model number to prove that it doesn't correspond with the manual we sold it with and thier response was "what do you want that for?!".

Where do we stand, they paid cash, as far as we are concerned we sold the unit as is and as described.  I think they are just upset as they didn't look into what they bought before bidding (carrying onto my husband that we sold them a 20 year old heater.... - um we NEVER specified age - only model number!!!) and they've had it for a month and obviously done modifications to get it to thier liking and install it - so who knows what they've done to it! 

What reprocussions does this have for us (if any?)

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HELP PLEASE

Unfortunately they have my husbands mobile number and have called him... And they know where we live.... Great!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

HELP PLEASE

I wouldn't be refunding anything.  They are not covered by money back guarantee because they picked it up and paid cash.

The fact that they won't give you a photo of the model number means they are just trying to con you out of money. Do nothing then add them to your block list.

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

Thanks 🙂  I'm concerned as I've been an ebayer for 10 odd years and NEVER had a complaint against me.  When my husband told them he's sorry but there is nothing we can do and the fact they had to pay the plumber to move the gas connection is not our issue (seriously!) they got nasty and said well they'll formally complain through ebay and they'll make us give them thier money back.

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

They can complain all they want....they will not get their money back for at least 2 reasons.

1.   It was pickup/pay cash

2.   It has been modified and cannot be returned in the condition it was sold in.

They are all hot air and bluster.

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

They haven't got a leg to stand on, don't worry
Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

Don't get into a conversation with them.   Ignore all emails.

Block them and don't worry - they can't get their money back

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

Unfortunately they have my husbands mobile number and have called him... And they know where we live.... Great!
Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

@spanka4perry wrote:

Just tell your husband to hang up on them.

If they turn up at your place and will not leave just call the police.

If they message through ebay report the messages.

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

you can also get you husband to block their calls. very easy to do with most smart phones. If he doesn't know just google 'how to block caller on xyz phone'
Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

HELP PLEASE

@spanka4perry wrote:

tell your husband to let their calls go through to voicemail.  If they leave a threatening message, even threatening to come over to your place, then keep the message and consider going to the police.  I am sure that if they got just one call or visit from the police to tell them to stop then that will put the wind up them and they will stop.  Tell them that you had contacted police (but only tell them that if you actually do contact the police, do not try to bluff them). Do not make any retaliatory threats to them, remain calm and cool.  Ask the police for an incident number and even tell your buyer that number.  If they threaten to report you to the police over the transaction then that will be bluff and bluster as police would not get involved in their problems with the eBay heater purchase, only the threatening behaviour over the transaction. 

Many people are very brave on the phone, and the internet (keyboard warriors), but when they are stood up to they back down very quickly.  They prey on the meek and mild and if you stand up to them they will probably go away and look for someone else to bother.

Be strong, don't let them make you feel like a victim, take control.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply