Heads Up Re Aus Post

I had an item go missing, even though it was marked as delivered on the other end.

I've been in talks with AP for almost 2 weeks regarding the missing item and they finally "concluded" it is in fact, missing. How, they couldn't establish. Upon asking why we have tracking if they can't tracked the said article, and asking about compensation, this is (one of) their pathetic replies.

So basically, tracking means nothing, and their compensation is return of the postage cost. Bye bye item. Personally, I think that's disgusting customer service.

Tracking is provided to allow for the convenience where available for the sender and the intended recipient to keep abreast of the articles movements.

Australia Post advertises that the scans are not compulsory except for the lodgment scans however in most instances scans do occur.

Australia Post in the next few months more will introduce more than 26, 000 scanners which are being made available to delivery officers, post shops and delivery facilities to improve the chance of a current non compulsory scan event occurring.

The tracking number also assist us in understanding tracking to confirm that the article has reached the correct delivery centre and which delivery officer was assigned the delivery of the item.

We can only confirm with the delivery officer his knowledge of the delivery as he has scanned at 12:05 pm on the 3 April 2013 that he has deposited the item at the address as nominated which is the correct time for the route he would have been assigned.

The article if removed after delivery would be a police matter as they will assist with the intended recipient if they are claiming mail tampering.

The tracking of the item is not the problem I perceive as it shows the movement of the article from when you manifested it to the inbound delivery centre and then that it had been delivered.

It has either been delivered incorrectly from the address supplied, removed after being delivered or maybe accepted by another person who has failed to inform the intended recipient.

I am understanding that you are furious that the item you have been informed is not in the hands of the person you wanted it to be however as pointed out please possibly look at alternative ways to ensure articles are either safe stored at the local post office if they cannot be delivered (safe dropped) or request the receiver to sign for the article with or without extra cover.

I have sent out the Money Order #4386289506 for $6.20 to the following address

Doesn’t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Heads Up Re Aus Post

Just to add a different twist ... apparently our local posties have now been issued with the scanners for tracking .... and three of them rocked up to our LPO today asking the staff there how to use them (ie yes they are given the tools but they are not told how to use them. Same is true with all the changes that have ocurred this month - staff training is woeful and lags behind the changes).

One wonders whether the management at Australia Post live in a parallel universe or something.

Recommended reading:  Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal".

Having said all that - I continue to be amazed and impressed at the overall performance of AP. Despite the best efforts of its management it still delivers a pretty good, reliable service.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

Thank you DG for clarifying this. I didn't think that SOD covered insurance

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

My goodness do they make it up as they go along 😮

Australia Post own terms and conditions (section 73) outline compensation is for replacement value - nothing about cost value - this is a variable that can never be assumed to be lower than replacement value.

They are leaving themselves wide open for you to send in receipt for purchase of the garment when new.

When I have sought compensation for (signature required) parcels, I have only ever had to provide copy of ebay sale - and emailed in copy of order form.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

boomct
Community Member

They want "proof" though. I obviously don't have a receipt for the item when I had it new, so all I could provide them is the eBay sale.

They won't accept that though. They want COST price.

Isn't the value of an item is determined by how much someone is prepared to pay for it?  

Either way, if AP are going to quibble over a difference of $10 they're even more ridiculous than I thought!   

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

ah I have just found this after posting similar a few minutes ago. It is NOT looking good for me; as far as I am concerned, if a parcel is tracked to the sender's address, then it is out of my hands and up to the recipient to chase the item

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

, then it is out of my hands and up to the recipient to chase the item

I felt the same way, but upon AP admitting the item was lost, I refunded my buyer and took my "fight" with them on myself. I wanted to leave the buyer out of it if I could. AND AP wouldn't compensate them anyway, only the sender (if you're lucky).

Back to the other point: I have no idea how they want me to prove my original price and since they haven't even asked anything about what it's worth, if they keep giving me the run around, I'll send in a docket I have for a $70 handbag 😐

Like I said, it isn't about money, but they WILL give me back $5 just because they should ]:)

Doesn’t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

'I hope you get a reply - I haven't had a single one of my questions posed to AP answered, and I've asked via various mediums.'

Not by post, I hope! They never would have received it.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply