Help please.

I received unjustified negative feedback from a buyer. When I laid the facts out, he has bid on another of my items and left more negative feedback. Clearly just in retaliation.

I requested feedback revision only for the buyer to decline and state that the original feedback was correct.

Ebay's automated reply is that they won't change the feedback and to respect the buyer's decision!
Completely unacceptible when the buyer is clearly harassing me and creating negative feedback.

Please help

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Help please.

... And just focusing on your question asking for help in the situation with the buyer having come back with apparently the intention of leaving you a second lot of negative feedback, I agree that you should get on the phone with eBay (using the Have us call you option) and explain that you believe the second purchase was malicious.

You could briefly mention the first transaction to set the scene - VERY briefly. Then immediately focus on the second lot of feedback, and explain that the buyer bid after an unpleasant exchange and leaving negative feedback for the first transaction. Explain also that you didn't think that the buyer would attempt to purchase from you again, and were taken by surprise when they did so. (You didn't have the chance to add the buyer to your blocked bidder list, or weren't really familiar with the process of adding buyers to your blocked bidder list - whatever describes your situation best.) Explain thereafter that it is fairly clear that the second bid was for the sole purpose of being able to give you additional negative feedback. I think it's quite straightforward, since the buyer's first lot of feedback said "Don't trust", which means that he/she would not have been inclined to make a genuine attempt at another transaction with you. That makes it malicious bidding.

On that basis, you can ask for the feedback to be removed.

At all times, make sure that you're polite, focused, and pleasant in tone while you're on the phone with the eBay CS rep.

Message 21 of 38
Latest reply

I would agree with most of what you said, countess. I think the second lot of feedback from that buyer probably was a **bleep** for tat and might be able to be removed if the seller strikes the right ebay rep.

But I don't think the actual purchase was for the sole purpose of being able to leave negative feedback. A buyer could do that with a far less expensive purchase. This one spent $120, so they wanted that item, I suspect and bought it despite the seller.

The real danger is that unless the seller blocks that buyer, there could well be another purchase because the buyer is in the market for the types of items the seller stocks.

Message 22 of 38
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

But I don't think the actual purchase was for the sole purpose of being able to leave negative feedback. A buyer could do that with a far less expensive purchase. This one spent $120, so they wanted that item, I suspect and bought it despite the seller.

The feedback was left on the same day the item sold - near as I can gather, the listing was set at $120 BIN, or best offer, and when the buyer made the offer, the seller countered with $300, probably to deter the buyer from purchasing the listing...which didn't work (that is, the buyer appears to have accepted the $300 counter-offer). It's a bit weird they'd make an offer, instead of just BIN'ing the item, but I very much doubt the buyer's motivations were pure. 

Message 23 of 38
Latest reply

I wonder if this is the buyer's first adventure into leaving negs for giggles territory ?

Maybe they have a habit of doing the same thing to all/other sellers?

In any case, they would certainly being going on to my blocked list, and, having done that (personally) I would be keeping an eye out for bids from brand newly registered members, in case the blocked buyer decides to be a wise guy and open a brand new id to bid with 

(not allowed bt eBay rules of course, does'nt mean this person would'nt try it on)

Message 24 of 38
Latest reply

You should probably remove the gay slur from your feedback replies. Not only will they put people off buying from you, they can land you in hot water with ebay.

Message 25 of 38
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

The feedback was left on the same day the item sold - near as I can gather, the listing was set at $120 BIN, or best offer, and when the buyer made the offer, the seller countered with $300, probably to deter the buyer from purchasing the listing...which didn't work (that is, the buyer appears to have accepted the $300 counter-offer). It's a bit weird they'd make an offer, instead of just BIN'ing the item, but I very much doubt the buyer's motivations were pure. 

What you said about the listing makes sense.

But in light of that, I would have to question whether the feedback given was deliberately malicious or simply disgruntled. I am leaning more towards disgruntled because both feedbacks are actually a factual description of what happened.

Take the September purchase. The buyer didn't pay & seller issued an unpaid item claim against them (which is perfectly reasonable thing to do, I'd do it too). No doubt the message the buyer got was to say the seller had opened a case & he had to pay within 4 days or else.

So he paid.

Then he gets a message from the seller that he has sold it to someone else.

I imagine the buyer's first reaction was, well why issue an ultimatum for me to pay up then & give me 4 days? He was annoyed. His feedback simply says he paid for the sale but seller reneged and sold elsewhere. He doesn't mention why or his part causing it, but the statement itself is true enough.

Solution: Seller probably needed to hang off till the case was closed before relisting, to avoid this sort of trouble. Or else cancel sale/refund before relisting.

Then block this buyer.

A suitable reply though in the circumstances to explain what happened ie buyer didn't pay, was called for.

Latest item, sold on 15 Oct. Same buyer sees something he likes @ $120 with, as you say, BIN or make an offer. Fancies it a lot, makes an offer, is counter offered with $300. If the seller's wish was to deter buyer from buying, blocking would work better. Counter offering with $300 would put a buyer's back up. It is showing to me as sold for $120. I could be wrong. I suspect the buyer then just hit the buy it now & bought at full price.

But his feedback simply says "fraud, counter offers with an offer higher than his asking". 

he could give that immediately after purchase because it's not about the product, it is about the transaction. And it is a factual account of what happened. If I made a seller an offer and he counter offered like that, I'd be a bit disgruntled too, unless i had been extremely rude and offered under half the asking price etc

For a purely malicious purchase, I would expect to see one of the much lower priced items sold.

Solution: Ignore insulting offers. Block buyers you don't want.

I know that isn't what the OP wants to hear, his query is about how to get malicious FB removed but although it is bad feedback, it is actually factual about the transactions, if you look at it.

Message 26 of 38
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

But in light of that, I would have to question whether the feedback given was deliberately malicious or simply disgruntled. I am leaning more towards disgruntled because both feedbacks are actually a factual description of what happened.

Yes, but that may just be because the seller provided the opportunity for a factual complaint - we have no way of knowing, but if the buyer accepted the counter-offer of $300 on an item that was listed at $120, I really don't think they purchased with the intention of paying more than twice the list price, albeit slightly annoyed about it.

The seller probably would have blocked the buyer after the first neg, if they knew it was an option. 

Message 27 of 38
Latest reply

As far as I can tell, the buyer paid $120. At least, that is what is showing to me in green in the completed listings results. But in the feedback section I initially clicked on, it had a little black $300.  In your earlier post, you said something that suddenly made it click for me what probably happened.

I suspect buy it now price was $120 with a 'make an offer' option. Buyer made offer, counter offer to him was $300.

I don't think the buyer paid $300, I think he just 'bought it now' at full $120 price, but the whole experience made him a bit huffy.

To be quite honest, I'd be a bit insulted too if a seller did that to me. It would be a bit offputting.

I'm not getting the vibe that either the seller or the buyer are necessarily 'bad' and despite his % feedback, it would not turn me off buying.  The seller seems to be reliable, with interesting products.

And after looking at the buyer's bidding history (which I don't normally get around to doing as it seems a bit of an invasion of privacy in a way), I think it is just someone who is genuinely interested in records, he seems to be bidding on quite a few from different sellers.

So I don't think we have anything deliberately malicious going on, just a couple of unfortunate exchanges, but given the back history, the seller might be best to learn how to block.

Message 28 of 38
Latest reply

There would be no reason for the sold price to display as $300 in feedback if it sold at the BIN price, it would say $120. If a BIN item with best offer sells at a lower price than the full amount, it has the original price crossed out and 'Best Offer Accepted" displayed instead, if it sells at the original list price, then that is displayed. 

eBay probably doesn't have a way to display in listings when an offer / sold price is above the list price. 

But again, we can only know for sure if the seller comes back and confirms. 

Message 29 of 38
Latest reply

Watchcount says $120 sell price.

I always check them for 'best offer' sold prices.

Message 30 of 38
Latest reply