How Environmentally Friendly is your Business?

Hey guys,

I hope you are all well and surviving the economic challenges.

I had my first 'complaint' recently about my packaging materials which is the first time I have come across this. My background is in packing very fragile items so I admit I do possibly overpack items to ensure safe transit. So in the last few days I received a message from a buyer saying thanks for their delivery but they were disappointed with the use of bubble wrap and the amount used.

I admit we do pack items really well, so they have a point. However, we source all out bubble wrap from a local business that has previously used the bubble wrap so it is clean but used so that they don't have to dispose of it or recycle it. I know you cannot please everyone, and many buyers comment on the excellent packaging and we do try to use previously used clean cardboard as much as possible too. But I wonder if you have ever had this feedback, or how you navigate this issue? I know there are now more environmentally friendly packing materials but as a small seller, we have tried to keep costs down and also trying to re-use where we can.

Any thoughts? The buyer was OK, and has not actually given feedback yet as it was through messages. We did respond and outlined the above, but the buyer has not replied. Appreciate any constructive thoughts.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: How Environmentally Friendly is your Business?

Majority of my packaging is recycled. All my boxes I get from work. Same with bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Although, I did buy a few rolls of bubble wrap from Bunnings a couple of years ago when they had rolls on their specials table for 10c a roll. It would have been morally wrong to leave them there!

Only time I've had a complaint about packaging was when I buyer sent me a message, thanking me for the item, which they were extremely happy with. Apparently I went a bit overboard with the tape and they needed scissors and an angle grinder to get into it!!! (sarcasm with the angle grinder). They were otherwise very impressed with the packaging as they had received too many broken items in the past. 

I think if you can package an item and then play soccer with it in the backyard and it not break, then you're doing it right.

I've only had one buyer send a message after sale saying they wanted brand new packaging. That's fine, happy to oblige, but it will be an extra $2 on the postage cost. They declined. I'm guessing they may have wanted to reuse it themselves. Like others, my recycled stuff is spotlessly clean. I'd never wrap anything in grubby packaging. I wouldn't like it done to me. If someone then wants to reuse it themselves, then it's near brand new for them to do so. 

For someone like the Countess, get on to your local buy swap and sell sites on Facebook to unload all your excess packaging. I know on my local ones, within minutes of someone advertising, someone has jumped on it wanting it. Then the comments are flooded with NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL (next in line). 

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

I recycle everything.....never had a complaint yet....you've just struck a !@#$%....par for the course.....could happen to me tomorrow....move on, safe in the knowledge that you're doing everything you possibly can...sleep well ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Australia Post click and send satchels are know reusable. They have 2 adhesive strips so if cut open along the line can be resealed with a new strip. Not sure how many will be reused but can be handy if the item needs to be returned.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Satchels don't, at least not the prepaid or MyPost Business ones. Unless very recent, as I last bought both only a few months ago.

Tough bags, always have. Envelopes, whether untracked or tracked, nada.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

SDC11756.JPG

Handy if you pack a parcel then realise you need to open it.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Yes, I know you are right; I was perhaps being a bit sensitive as I am someone that values fairness and justice and probably felt that the buyer took a 'cheap shot'. I am more annoyed that they never replied after their 'virtue signalling' showing that they don't really care as much as they claimed. As others have said, they have likely moved onto finding something else to 'virtue signal' about on the internet.

Like a lot of these 'virtue signallers', they don't realize they are part of the problem by buying online as Cam said.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply