How I do protect myself against a chargeback? - Buyer claiming item faulty

Okay I need the big guns here to come out and help!

I thought I did absolutely everything I could to protect myself...sold an expensive piece of electronic equipment that copies VHS to DVD (allows people to convert their old VHS to digital format).

Sold for near $200, packaged it EXTRA WELL, did SIGNATURE and tracking, proof of shipment, AND I insured it against loss or damage. I tested it completely before sending, it worked PERFECTLY

Now 2 weeks later they write and say it has a faulty button or something, can't get it to work.

I am concerned they are scamming me, - as they may have used it to copy all their tapes and now don't need it anymore. They want to return it for refund (they are happy to pay return shipping and signature, as it was only $20 total for this).

Do I have any leg to stand on? Even if paypal asks them to provide proof of it not working, they could easily damage the machine and then get someone to verify it's not working.

Then send it back (or even send a ROCK weighing the same weight back to me - with proof of shipping - and wouldn't even have to send the real thing back?).

WHERE or HOW can I cover myself, as I did NOTHING wrong?

Help! What do I do?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How I do protect myself against a chargeback? - Buyer claiming item faulty

Ref

Asking Pay Pal 'not to give a refund' ????!  Won't happen from my experience, sorry.....I repeat myself .....but not quite frothing at the mouth....yet?!! Pay Pal will find for the buyer most of the time

As a buyer or as a serial pest ? so rude.....as usual! ....we Southerners consider foxes pests and value Freedom of Speech.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: How I do protect myself against a chargeback? - Buyer claiming item faulty

Paypal by no means always find in favour of the buyer when it comes to a not as described dispute and if they do agree to a refund on return and the buyer sends back something other than what they received or there are obvious signs it has been misused or deliberately damaged you need to take it to the police and report the buyer for fraud,. Once you have a crime report number you ring Paypal and give them the details.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 12
Latest reply