How do I send a WATCH in the mail?

artforartssake
Community Member

What is the QUICKEST and SAFEST way to send an expensive WATCH (value: approx. $1,000) through the mail?

Do I need any sort of insurance or does Aust Post cover that?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: How do I send a WATCH in the mail?

Better pack it well.

Aus Post recommend packing that will withstand something weighing

20 kilos being dropped from a height of 1 metre onto it

I can see both buyer and seller crying here

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

@artforartssake wrote:

Thanks, but if I do as Digital suggests, do I still need to go into an AP outlet to buy the posting box?

Do I then just print off the label and stick it on the box with sticky tape? And then do I need to go into the AP outlet again to hand it in over the counter (wouldn't want to drop it into a box as it may break on the way down!)

Excuse my ignorance, but I've never done "click and send" before via self-service!

You don't need to buy a box, see if the local supermarket or Bunnings has a sturdy box, or even the local spare parts place. That said, to buy a single box as a one off shouldn't cost that much. They might be cheaper if you have an Officeworks rather than the PO. Just make sure it's sturdy and not something like a shoe box or cereal box (while I've had stuff delivered in and they get squashed).

I post quite a bit of fragile stuff and the secret is to make sure there is no dead space in the box. If the watch is in a box, I'd pack some packing peanuts or tissues (as in Kleenex) inside the watch box so the watch can't move at all if you shake it. Then wrap it in some paper (e.g printing paper) and tape it closed so the lid can't open (if it's a plastic watch box you could just tape the box closed as the tape would peel off easily enough.). 

I'd then wrap the box in either bubble wrap or that foam wrapping stuff. You want a few layers around the box. Then stuff the bottom of the packing box with bubble wrap, packing peanuts or even newspaper. Sit the wrapped watch box in the middle and then stuff the packaging on the top and down the sides. Take extra care to make sure it does get down the sides. Hold the top of the box closed and shake it. If there is ANY movement at all, stuff some more packaging in there. I generally stuff enough in there so I have trouble getting the box to close, then you know there is no dead space. If it seems tight, but you can hear the watch rattling in its box, unwrap it and shove some more packing peanuts or tissues in it.

If you're finding the click and send thing too difficult, just write a label, or type one up and print it. I hand write or print mine and I tape over the whole label so there is no chance of it getting torn in transit. Leave enough room at the top right for the postage label. Don't forget to put a return address on too. Take it to the PO already addressed, tell them you want insurance up to $1,000 plus signature on delivery. They'll punch in whatever it is they punch in on their computer and spit the postage label out and stick it on. Then they'll tell you how much it costs. Hopefully in a few days time, the buyer receives it and is happy with their new watch!

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

i would use this after you packed the watch   put it in a small metal change box ,which is a bit bigger than a watch box and made of steel but real strong .only a couple of dollars in  a $2 shop 

20151012_154313.jpg

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

You're a Star!!

Will this have tracking as well?

Photobucket
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

Only if you put it in a box, just like tippy said and pack it well inside

It's only extra packing.  The hinges on those things are krap

Do what tippy said

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

thats alright  as i said  after you package your item then pack it in a [steel] box for extra protection, it can never hurt .

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Even though it's a good idea and would give good protection, I'd imagine the weight would blow your shipping costs out because it would take it over 500g. I do sometimes put really delicate things in a small box, then pack that box in a larger box with lots of stuffing. Just gives it that extra protection. If the watch is already in a watch box, then that's effectively what you'd be doing.

Edit: if you were going to do something like Joe suggested, I'd put the steel box inside a cardboard box so it can be sealed off and addressed properly.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Maybe this suggestion is a bit late, but having read about several scams on watches & similar items on these boards, if there are any identifying markings or numbers on the watch I would be taking a note & photos before sending.  I would also be taking photos of each stage of the packing, including the address.  Sorry I know that may sound a bit over the top, but at worst (and hopefully) all it will mean is a bit of time wasted, but worth it for the extra protection & evidence (just in case it's needed) & for peace of mind - just my opinion though.

Hope all goes well

Edit.  Sorry Joe, I think the steel box is a great idea, but would be too heavy.

OP, I'd go with tippy's tips !!

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

thats fair enough   but adding 400grams to a $1000 watch  and can be wrapped or put into cardboard .

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Yes, I see your point 🙂
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply