How to use Postage rate table?

I would like to streamline the purchasing process for my larger items which I can only send by courier. Currently buyers need to wait for an invoice from me before they can pay.

For many destinations I know the cost to send the item so have filled in the Postage Rate Table with the relevant cost. Ebay instructions advise that I need to tick the Postage rate table option when I list an item for sale. However this option only comes up when the Flat Rate rule is selected in the selling tempalte which I find odd.

I tried it anyway but then I get an error message advising "You must enter a postage cost" in the selling template and I'm only allowed to enter one cost of course. It's all so odd and doesn't make sense.

So how can the Postage Rate Table be used?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: How to use Postage rate table?

Sorry, but if I can't find the link to say you can't, then I'm sure as apples not gunna find

the link that says you can.

I was just going on the premise that the large stores eg Myer, Good Guys Office Works etc can do it, then that sets a precedent?

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

@deanosaurus_chenzwrote:
Oh ok, thanks. Yes, we had our details listed until recently. But we do have B&M stores, so I'd love to see any documentation that says we can still list our phone number and/or address...

Until recently, the actual rules were:

Anyone can have an email address in a listing; if it was a link it need to open an email client

Any account registered as a business account can have a phone number in a listing (store level was irrelevant).

eBay changed the rules, though, and now no one is able to display or exchange contact information, unless a sale has taken place.

Well, no one except stores that are able to negotiate independent contracts with eBay (as in, they would effectively have a different user agreement), like Myer, Good Guys etc  I'd say these sellers are treated differently because they're not someone who opened a standard account on ebay and just started selling, eBay would have courted them, negotiated special rates and offers, and provided features they can access that aren't available to standard membership accounts (like logos in search results and other functional or cosmetic 'bonuses'). I dare say part of the reason that they allow contact details is because it's no secret the sellers have established stores and can be contacted outside of eBay, so denying contact information would be pretty futile. I'm not saying it's fair or anything like that, as they have many advantages over everyone else that ultimately hurts the site (IMO). 

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Ok, cool. That was my understanding of it, too. Thanks for the response, digital*ghost! 

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Hi deanosaurus_chenz

If the table is unusable, how do you let different customers from different areas know the price applicable to them?

I have spent the last two days trying to work all this out till I saw your response,(thought I was doing something wrong)

Any ideas as to how I can add calculated shipping to my listed items?

Thanks heaps 

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

You're replying to someone who posted 5 years ago.  Things change.

You should have started your own thread to ask the question

In the meantime, I'd be taking down or fixing the 'free postage' you have listed for those very large items.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply