I Might Owe eBay an Apology (RE: New Seller Standards)

And fellow forum members.

I started a new thread on this since it's important info, and I've been one of the ones ranting the loudest about the new late shipment policy and how it will affect sellers. 

I read the US policy, glanced at the Aus one, saw that they virtually mirrored one another and left it at that, but... there seems to be one key difference (because I didn't read the Oz one as thorougly as the US one, I don't know if this is an update after uproar, or it was always like this).

• To qualify for Top Rated Seller status, Australian sellers can have a maximum of 0.5% of transactions with defects and a maximum of 5% of transactions with late shipment (that do not meet the new "on-time shipping" requirement).
  • To meet minimum performance requirements, Australian sellers can have a maximum of 2% of transactions with defects. Sellers who do not meet minimum performance requirements will fall Below Standard. 

There is no maximum percentage allowed for late shipment like there is in the US, which a seller could exceed to fall below standard. So it would appear that while you can lose TRS via 'late' shipments, you can't be restricted or suspended from selling.

I do hope that this is correct, and I also apologise to fellow forum members if my info (and ranting) was misinformed and caused unnecessary stress. 

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

at least you addmitted your blunder.i will leave it at that,

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Since most of our items go out by regular large letter then this late shipping one is what is likely to affect us most.

Without tracking we have no way to prove we shipped inside our handling time so every time a buyer answers NO to the question did it arrive before the expected date then we will get defected. I am guessing the fact that we marked it as Posted will not count.

So... DG if you are right then all we will lose is our TRS status and not be banned off-site in the long run.

However, if it we do get defected off the planet then we just have a far bigger incentive to make our website work. We are doing our best, within the bounds of available budget, to do that now just in case this happens.

We are definitley concerned about our future existence on ebay. And if this is of great concern for a good quality seller such as we are then lord help the rest. Ebay will become a dust bowl covered in tumbleweed.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

When we look at the wider ongoing trend from ebay, we see that tracking of all items is increasingly becoming a necessity. ( and may eventually be mandated ). This will put an end to item not recieved disputes for buyers and the problem of " online shoplifting " for sellers when buyers falsely claim they have not recieved their item.

It will also put a lot of preasure on sellers of cheap items that are currently sent in large letters. International sellers who currently use untracked large letters will see postage costs increase from around $8.00 up to 250gm. to around $22.00 with tracking. That should put an end to all of those pesky overseas buyers who currently make up 30% of my business.      Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

The maximum late shipment percentage is still showing on the US site as 7%, so sadly over there they have the potential to fall below standard due to eBay's "shipping metrics", but on further reflection, I am going to go ahead and presume (because that's worked great so far Smiley LOL ) the absence of that here is not a mistake.

Sellers have to ship at least 90% of their orders with tracking to even have a chance for qualifying for TRS over there, so I'm guessing the difference for these kinds of requirements is due to the postal options they have access to (i.e. more accessibility to tracking, at lower prices, so a rare modicum of consideration for Aussie sellers, perhaps). 

Still not quite fair when factors can be unknown, but I can accept it easily enough if it just makes the difference between TRS or not. 

The only way you can be defected after the changes are brought in, is if you don't resolve a request, ebay steps in, and it's closed in favour of the buyer, or you cancel transactions due to being out of stock. I've never had/done either of those, so I can breathe a little easier, for now. 

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

It will also put a lot of preasure on sellers of cheap items that are currently sent in large letters. International sellers who currently use untracked large letters will see postage costs increase from around $8.00 up to 250gm. to around $22.00 with tracking. That should put an end to all of those pesky overseas buyers who currently make up 30% of my business.      Smiley Sad

With the drastic increase to domestic large letters coming up, I wonder (or rather suspect) AP are well aware large letters are increasingly being used to ship merchandise from online merchants, and that the demand for some form of tracking, that doesn't triple the cost of postage, is very high. 

Pure speculation, of course, or perhaps even pure fantasy, but with a 250g+ letter looking set to cost a min. $5.00, more if sent priority, perhaps the inflated costs will allow a tracking add-on (that doesn't include SOD) for less than the current price of reg'd.

Still, as someone that also ships letters OS, I am forever dismayed that more often than not, my choice is $2.75-$7.40 no option of tracking whatsoever, or between $21-$27 for tracking. That's up to 10 x more. 😞

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

I think we are pretty much in "the same boat" as you DG.

We too have never had either of those defects.

We've had the odd unreasonable buyer (usually the ones with a track record) leave NEG and/or low DSR's.

So if your observatuions are correct then perhaps we too can breathe a little easier.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

I cant see the problem . ebay says you must have tracking or signature. if not you must resolve the problem with the buyer. or you will get a defect.  [ read there lips on there site these are the only terms they are interested inn, no ifs or buts,  if ebay dont want clothes sold on there site for exsample because of all the dramas of size and dont fit or whatever, they will say no clothes to be sold on there site capish.and if ebay lists no items to be sold with the item starting with [n] not allowed.only one problem with that is ,what if somebody messages ebay and say can we sell  [ ngines] lol

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

I cant see the problem . ebay says you must have tracking or signature. if not you must resolve the problem with the buyer. or you will get a defect.  [ read there lips on there site these are the only terms they are interested inn, no ifs or buts,  if ebay dont want clothes sold on there site for exsample because of all the dramas of size and dont fit or whatever, they will say no clothes to be sold on there site capish.and if ebay lists no items to be sold with the item starting with [n] not allowed.only one problem with that is ,what if somebody messages ebay and say can we sell  [ ngines] lol

The problem for some of us, is that we have built businesses here that we make a full time living from. When the policy direction and rules are constantly changing it makes it very difficult to continually adapt and plan for the future. Some of us would ACTUALLY LIKE TO STAY AROUND, as we have established businesses and find ebay to be a cost effective and efficient business model, compared to running a B & M store. The constant changes and instability in both ebay and Australia Post make planning for the longer haul almost immpossible, stifling investment decisions and draining enthusiasm.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

I cant see the problem .

I can't say I'm surprised, to be perfectly honest, a lot of the time I find your views on these matters to be extraordinarily limited to a single, tiny aspect of the issue(s).

The thing is, those of us who don't use trackable postage services do so with a full understanding of what is required by eBay / PayPal to defend a claim. But it's more than that, I for one have always made the deliberate choice to provide low-cost, untracked postage on items below a certain value, and take full responsibility for that choice, no one here has said they wouldn't or don't. eBay and PayPal requirements don't even matter to me in that sense, I couldn't care less if they required proof of delivery or accepted the sworn testimony of a phone psychic, my buyers, and my business, take precedence over what eBay wants, and that's exactly how it should be.  

If this is what you're doing (I can learn not to assume), then please stop trying to (let's just say) inspire debate on issues that aren't even on-topic. 

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply