I have a fellow seller copying text from my listings.

For about a year now I have another seller copying text from my listings. In that time I’ve asked them, politely, to change their text. They point blank refuse.

I have message records of them begging me to let them use my text as they were concerned that their listings were not getting many watchers.

Recently I’ve put it to them again and I’ve now been blocked across social media.

I spent a lot of time on my listings, making sure I wasn’t using anything from other sellers and that my listings were unique to me.

What can I do? Can I name and shame this person? eBay itself hasn’t been if any help. 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: I have a fellow seller copying text from my listings.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Stealing photos is one thing, but stealing text is different again. You could try joining the VERO program, but even then, I'm not sure if that covers text or not.

What do you mean you have been blocked by social media? Have you tried talking to eBay via their Facebook page? They are usually quite responsive. Make sure the page has the blue tick, as there are lots of fake pages. 

You can't name and shame on the forums.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

The seller that copied me has blocked me, not eBay. I tried the VERO route but to no avail. 🤷‍♀️ It’s so annoying as my listings have been the same since 2011, then some lazy butt comes along and copies it.

Thank you for your reply😊

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

What should I do if my image or text is being used by another member?

You should contact the member and ask them to remove your image or text from their listing. If they don't, you can fill out a Notice of Claimed Infringement form (PDF) and send it to our Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) team.

If content you added to a listing has been selected for our eBay product catalogue though, then it's free to use for all members and we won't be able to process a VeRO claim.

If reporting text, the copied text will need to be in the description of the item. Because of limited space in the title and subtitles, some similarity will occur for the same merchandise, so we won't typically remove a listing for similar text in these areas.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240#section3

I would just have ebay call me back and then explain it all.

Worth a try.

Don't give up.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Hi,

Thank you for the info. The seller had been refusing for around a year now to remove it. I did try the VeRO a while ago. I’ll give it another try.

This person is also claiming things on Pinterest as their own. So very wrong.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I'd give them a ring because I've had no problems getting copied text removed in the past, and I know others who've had their descriptions copied word for word and had them removed from other people's listings.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. I’ll give it another go.😊

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Dear oh dear. What a truly lazy, opportunist sod.

Theft of any kind is just so sleazy and low. My other half suggested a good left hook, hooked 🙂 and then explained to me what he meant!!

I hope you can get him sorted to your satisfaction.

Melina.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I do too. The so and so in question has blocked me across social media. I’m left with eBay messaging as my only way of contact with them.

I’m not holding out much hope, but maybe I’ll get lucky. This person is also claiming things on Pinterest which are clearly not hets🤷‍♀️What is wrong with people?

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I wouldn't bother contacting the other seller again because they're obviously not going to do anything unless a higher authority makes them. If you contact ebay make sure you can quote them a listing number to look at. It's a pity you didn't report them when you first noticed it because now they could lie and tell ebay you copied their listings.

I once sold a book and made a comment in the description about how it changed my life. A couple of weeks later someone else used my exact wording in their listing. When I asked them to remove it they basically told me to keep my hair on and then ended their listing. When they relisted it a short while later I didn't bother contacting them but went straight to ebay. I've had the odd problem since then but it's been a while and it may not be as easy now as it used to be. About 3 years ago I told a seller about another seller that was copying their extensive description word for word and they managed to get ebay to act.
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply