I have a fellow seller copying text from my listings.

For about a year now I have another seller copying text from my listings. In that time I’ve asked them, politely, to change their text. They point blank refuse.

I have message records of them begging me to let them use my text as they were concerned that their listings were not getting many watchers.

Recently I’ve put it to them again and I’ve now been blocked across social media.

I spent a lot of time on my listings, making sure I wasn’t using anything from other sellers and that my listings were unique to me.

What can I do? Can I name and shame this person? eBay itself hasn’t been if any help. 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: I have a fellow seller copying text from my listings.

This has been ongoing for around a year now. I did contact eBay after she first refused to remove the text.

I’ve chat transcripts on eBay with her pleading me to let her use my text because her items weren’t getting many watches. Go figure.

Ive kept asking her and she keeps refusing. I commented on her Pinterest page that she was copying text and I did the same thing on her Instagram page. I was quickly blocked.

I would dearly love to name and shame her but I’ve been told I can’t on forums.

Thank you for your advice. I’m far from giving up. I don’t give up easily.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I certainly wouldn't copy your description(s).

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I certainly wouldn't copy your description(s).

I would hope not given you don't sell a crocheted blanket (OP only has one listing at the moment).

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

I am fully aware of that. And I like to think my descriptions are a tad more professional.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

After 10 years of selling on eBay, and over $1 million in eBay sales, I am actually going to be closing my eBay shop - I will still do the occasional auction, and buy stuff now and again, but that's it. There are a few reasons - my eBay sales have gone right down: this being the main factor, but another was eBay's complete apathy about my photos being stolen. I filled in all their forms, the photos still had my watermarks on them even! Nothing was done. I now no longer consider eBay a safe environment to post my photos & descriptions. My store is due to close at the end of the month.
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

@medieval_shoppe wrote:
After 10 years of selling on eBay, and over $1 million in eBay sales, I am actually going to be closing my eBay shop - I will still do the occasional auction, and buy stuff now and again, but that's it. There are a few reasons - my eBay sales have gone right down: this being the main factor, but another was eBay's complete apathy about my photos being stolen. I filled in all their forms, the photos still had my watermarks on them even! Nothing was done. I now no longer consider eBay a safe environment to post my photos & descriptions. My store is due to close at the end of the month.

They don't care about the sharing and actually do it deliberately,(any photo/s that are listed on eBay are fair

game according to them to be used in their "catalogue" :

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/sharing-content?id=4657&st=2&p...

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240&st=2&pos=3&query=Imag...

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@hookedbymaggie wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for the info. The seller had been refusing for around a year now to remove it. I did try the VeRO a while ago. I’ll give it another try.

This person is also claiming things on Pinterest as their own. So very wrong.

I don't know about eBay, but I had another seller use my images as paid promotions on Pinterest. There is an option to report copyrighted pins. Pinterest acted very quickly and they were removed the next day (and I got a whiny email from the seller telling me how horrible I was for not letting them use MY work to promote their site . . . Smiley LOL)

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply