I have been asked to list items for sale, what commission should I charge?

Hi everyone

I've been approached by someone who has their own ebay account, to list items they want to sell. This person has almost non existent computer skills. What sort of commission fee would be the average?

I'm only dealing with the computer side of things, eg listing, answering questions etc. The taking of photos, packing and posting would be handled by the owner of the items.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: I have been asked to list items for sale, what commission should I charge?

@happyroo_bunji wrote:

The more I think about it,  the less interested in it I become. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth

I think you're spot on here - there's a lot of scope for dissatisfaction on both sides doing something like this. Better to spend a few hours showing them how to set up a listing and reply to messages, and leave them to it.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@happyroo_bunji wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

You could always take them on consignment.

List, pack, post yourself.

When they sell, give him an agreed percentage of profits.

The more I think about it,  the less interested in it I become. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth

That's pretty much my thought. I've been asked a few times (numbers didn't stack up and I declined, what price on your time?) and offered to sell a few things for family members, even those I regretted because it cuts into your time. I would also never allow anyone else (other than a business partner if I had one) package and post, nor would I list something that was being stored at their house, given the condition could change. 

And on top of all of that, it could strain a friendship if  it goes pear shaped or you might end up resenting them for draining your valuable time.

Just my thoughts, not saying you shouldn't do it. Depends on the value of the items, if there's room for both of you to make money?

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

happyroo_bunji, I have certainly BOUGHT for other people... but I very much doubt that I'd find it worthwhile SELLING for others. There is always a risk about getting any splashback from a bad buying experience, plus the need to clarify and simplify any taxation issues.

If you're supposed to answer questions, you'd need the items in front of you. But clearly that would not work, as the other person needs the items so that they can take photos, pack and post.

What if the other person's photographs just aren't quite right? You'd be getting the photos from this person, presumably by email...? Then you'd have to scrutinise them, possibly edit, crop, etc. You say that this person doesn't have many computer skills; I'd be concerned that the photographs would be lacking as well.

It's not that it can't be done, of course... but I suspect it's like the old saying about lending money to friends. The fastest way to lose a friend is to lend them money... Never sell a used car to a friend... and now (I think) never list items on eBay for a friend.

... Or... if not "never"... then at least "hardly ever".

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

We sold some items a few years ago for someone - and won't do it again.

We organised everything, from storing and photos, research, packing and posting, and then at the end of every month had to do a breakdown and transfer funds to her. Quite a pain.

We did a split of 60% us, 40% to her. 

Make sure if you do go ahead that you are well and truly covered for your time and effort. 

Also, if you are doing the listing remember it is your description that people will read and base their purchase on. So any discrepancies, will be on your shoulders thus you will suffer the consequences. In our opinion you really need to have the item in your hand to be able to set up a clear and accurate description.

If you go ahead, do a stocktake of the items, so you both know what you have, before listing and keep them in your own storage. That is also the time that you could work out what they want for the item and what to sell them at to cover yourselves.

Then work out if it is worth it.

An easier solution could be to buy the items outright from your friend/acquaintance, after doing some research, and sell them yourself.

Or join forces and run a store together bringing both your and their stock together to form one account then run as a partnership. This  could be lucrative for both parties, sharing the load and time etc....Could be the beginning of a very nice business with a partner to work with. Chance to expand, and make some $'s perhaps.  

Or teach them how to use their account and allow them to do it themselves. 

Good Luck on whatever you choose to do.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

The arrangement I had worked OK  and continued for a reasonable period of time. The items we where selling had a reasonably high sell through rate and with a 50/50 split, we both made money. There has to be a lot of trust involved. 

Having said that, you would be much better off finding something that sells well and selling your own stuff. There's plenty of items out there that only cost a few dollars and allow mark ups of 500%-1000% meaning you get to keep all of the profits rather than splitting them with some-one else and you have full control over everything.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you everyone for your thoughts/opinions. I really appreciate you taking your time to respond to my post.

I'm 98% certain what my decision is,  I promised I would contact the person with an answer tomorrow. So will leave my final decision till then

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Besides all the valid concerns above, just remember that if you decided to go ahead and list on your account you'll be the one responsible for declaring all income to the tax office, which can really complicate things.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply