I think I am being scammed, please help.

I listed a watch on eBay for $1500, a buyer with 0 feedback tried to approach me for the purchase, after talking to him, I feel the buyer is reasonable and sold my watch to him. But I am quite careful when doing business with people with 0 feedback. The buyer is from the US, before the item arrived, I sent him a message asking him to check the delivery while the postman is there, if there is any issue get back to me straight away. Turns out he was not home while the postman was delivering the item, and he asked the postman to left the watch at reception.

I have just been contacted by the buyer told me the watch has issues that not been described in my advertisement, and the watch is not functioning. I have checked the watch before I post it out, I know and love watches if I am not in financial difficulty, I would not put it on sale. I am confident the watch is in great condition, without any issues.

So I feel like what I have been worried has come true, this buyer is trying to scam me. I never have this kind experience, but heard eBay always on the buyer side, some buyer even sent back empty box, papers for the refund, return with a different watch, or take the movement out of the watch, and return the case back. 

Please tell me what should I do, how should I handle this, I did purchase the insurance for the shipping if the buyer can prove the watch is damaged on arrival, can I claim the insurance?

Should I accept the return? If I do I will lose 200 for the postage, and I don't know what I will receive.

I can relay on eBay against this kind of scam from 0 feedback buyer?

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: I think I am being scammed, please help.

Ring eBay and find out.
Message 41 of 54
Latest reply

@ibeyondwu wrote:
I would like to offer a return, but I what a way to make sure he returns what I have sent. does the postman or the people work at the post office can be a witness? Will eBay care what my witness says?

I would not ask your local postman to be your witness but the postmaster/mistress at the PO should be able to do it for you.

If they happen to be a JP (many of them are) it would be perfect.

It is doubtful if ebay will care what your witness says but once you have the item back, taking the overseas element out of it, there are authorities in Australia who can force ebay to do the right thing.

The most important thing is to get the item back into Australia.

Message 42 of 54
Latest reply

The main question no one has asked so far:

Has the buyer/scammer? even opened a dispute ?????

If that were the case the Op would have had $ 1500.00 frozen in their Pay Pal account until the case was settled one way or another.

So far that doesn't appear to have happened or at best we haven't heard about it ......

It appears to date it is only a question of "what if, what if, what if and what if"

Message 43 of 54
Latest reply

@annieoakley2000 wrote:

The main question no one has asked so far:

Has the buyer/scammer? even opened a dispute ?????

If that were the case the Op would have had $ 1500.00 frozen in their Pay Pal account until the case was settled one way or another.

So far that doesn't appear to have happened or at best we haven't heard about it ......

It appears to date it is only a question of "what if, what if, what if and what if"

Yes you are correct Annie.

It's not clear in the opening post if/not a formal return case hase been even opened.

I had assumed so since there was a question "should I accept the return" in the opening post.

To me this implied that a return case had been opened. But perhaps not.

So if its just all been via messaging between buyer/seller so far then do nothing more until the buyer should open a formal return case. 

Then go with all the above advice from that point.

Message 44 of 54
Latest reply

You're absolutely right lol there hasn't been any request from the buyer yet.

Message 45 of 54
Latest reply

It is in this message from the Op:

"they invariably find in favour of the buyer and you'll lose everything."

If this happens will eBay official notify the buyer to keep the watch and will refund him?

I have called eBay, explained my concern, they told me if the buyer opens a case against me, escalate to them, they are on my side.

If the end of the day the decision is in favour of the buyer, why eBay has the authority to let him keep my watch without paying, it is not a counterfeit. 

Message 46 of 54
Latest reply

Oh no....seller will sweat now for 180 days
Message 47 of 54
Latest reply

Apparently no dispute opened, that is why I suggested to offer the buyer to refund once the buyer returns it.

That will also test the legitimacy of buyer.

image host
Message 48 of 54
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
Oh no....seller will sweat now for 180 days

But if they time out for the MBG, Paypal will normally require the buyer to return an INAD before they will enforce a refund.

Message 49 of 54
Latest reply

I lodged the insurance claim with AP, their US office contacted the buyer asked him to take the watch for inspection. The buyer just contacted me saying he had figure how to adjust the date of the watch, and "the watch is seemingly working fine and accurate", he is not interested in taking the watch for inspection. Should I cancel my claim with Australia Post?

Message 50 of 54
Latest reply