I will have to stop international postage

bjlcr
Community Member

Although I have had no problems with International postage in the past.I think I will have to stop international postage at moment.

A couple of items I have sold in the last couple of weeks are showing delivery times for February next year.

So many things can happen in that time.

Also I hope buyers dont start a not recieved item..

It just to risky at moment.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: I will have to stop international postage

You're 8 months behind the times.

There's this thing called COVID-19 that is disrupting the entire world, including postage services.

Also I hope buyers dont start a not recieved item..

Good luck with that.

What is your question?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

A lot of sellers who normally sell internationally have stopped at the moment, due to the major delays caused by the Covid. They were having a marked increase in INR's and forced refunds, because some people felt that the delays and virus didn't apply to them. 

I had only just opened up international postage, after years of not having it, not long before the Rona hit. As soon as people started complaining about INR's, especially from the US, I took a leaf from others and stopped overseas postage. Once things settle down, I might open things back up again.

Chances are your buyers will open a dispute, so be prepared for that. Hopefully they are understanding and willing to wait a bit longer. Especially if you explain the delays (not that you should have to, you'd have to be living under a rock to not know what's going on).

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I have really cut back on buying from overseas because of the L-O-N-G delays. I can sympathise with the issue of selling OS.

I had an untracked international parcel that after nearly 4 months (and following some advice from Aust Post how some lodgement numbers can be viewed by AP when the parcel gets to Oz), I contacted the seller to ask if they had any kind of registration numbers that AP might be able to investigate.  I did not ask for a refund but the seller decided to refund the money anyway.  It was under $20 including the postage.

So far, all my tracked parcels (domestic and international) have eventually turned up (especially after a push for AP to find them) so I guess I've been lucky but I've sure had to wait a long time for some of them!

I hope things will get back on an even keel soon.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I think economy has already returned for some countries and may return soon for the others. International is always a risk, especially if untracked. I haven't decided yet if i'm going to send untracked - i have sent tracked and no problem since covid but even before covid about 1/5 int. untracked letters or parcels would get complaints. I have 3 defects on my account for untracked int. items and I have sold about 80 and so many queries about late postage. I have researched and found that for economy these things may help but i'm yet to try them: 

1: use tariff numbers and list as a commercial item and use the more detailed C23 form. More detail is apparently better. Find an Australia Post that allows you to use this form with economy service. It May pass through with the tracked items.

2: Use a fake barcode and tracking stickers to deter INR from scammers. 

3: Use 20 days handling time. 

4: Use the postage option economy untracked, giving you 35 days plus handling time. 

5: Send it the day it sells. 

6. Lodge at Australia Post, take photo of receipt and item with form (and a selfie with that days newpaper +item). 

If this seems like too much work, then it's best to send tracked. If tracked is too expensive, then don't sell international unless you sell items that are atleast $10 (some people will pay $10 + $20 post albeit not often). 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I know whats goinng on.

I know about the Virus.

But i Honestly havent been having a problem sending some items to the UK and USA,Guess I have been lucky.

But I got a buyer in Hungary and his is going to take nearly three months to get to him .

I only made the comment but have been getting some uncalled for remarks.

I have told the buyer concered about the postal delays and he still wanted the item.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

A lot of sellers who normally sell internationally have stopped at the moment, due to the major delays caused by the Covid. They were having a marked increase in INR's and forced refunds, because some people felt that the delays and virus didn't apply to them. 

I had only just opened up international postage, after years of not having it, not long before the Rona hit. As soon as people started complaining about INR's, especially from the US, I took a leaf from others and stopped overseas postage. Once things settle down, I might open things back up again.

Chances are your buyers will open a dispute, so be prepared for that. Hopefully they are understanding and willing to wait a bit longer. Especially if you explain the delays (not that you should have to, you'd have to be living under a rock to not know what's going on).

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

No need to be rude.
Of course I know about the Virus,

I only made a comment because so far I havent been haveing any problems with international mail.

Now I have ..Right.

The buyer have been forwarned about delays also.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply