If I sell an item, and the buyer asks to pay with PayPal, can I add the PayPal fee to the invoice?

I'm about to sign up to use Paymate as the Safer Payment Method for my future listings. I've just had enough of PayPal and their fees, and exchange rates. My question is, if I list an item for sale, but have Paymate as the payment option (not PayPal), if a buyer requests to pay using PayPal, can I send them an invoice and add the PayPal fee?

I'm guessing most buyers just expect most, if not every buyer has PayPal as a payment option. Although I'm sure there will be a few buyers asking if they can pay using Paypal. But, if I don't offer PayPal as a payment option on that particular listing, am I breaking any eBay policy by requesting the buyer pay the PayPal fee as well?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: If I sell an item, and the buyer asks to pay with PayPal, can I add the PayPal fee to the invoic

Fair enough, if it is working for you, keep on with it.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Re: If I sell an item, and the buyer asks to pay with PayPal, can I add the PayPal fee to the invoic

Hmmmm, I've come across paymate-only sellers a couple of times as a buyer, and I have to say I always hit the back button.

I hate the idea of signing up to yet ANOTHER company with all my personals, etc.

I just think that nothing I really want only comes up once, just have to wait a bit longer for it to turn up again (saying that, I mostly buy clothes, not rare collectables or anything).

Saying that, I do agree some may be more desperate for a certain item and sign up.  I just reckon that it would deter too many potential buyers.  If buyers were already signed up with paymate, no problem, I just don't think there are that many.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

If you tried that on me I would neg you.

You list an item, you list the postage, that's it. Be upfront, people want to know the bottom line when they bid, they are not prepared to have nasty surprises after they win.

I would contact ebay to dispute it and then I would neg you.

And I am usually a reasonable person, I don't go around trying to find fault, i think i am fair. But I expect sellers to be upfront and fair back.

Mind you, i understand you don't offer paypal so I probably would not have bid in the first place but if a buyer does-and it could happen they get confused as ther names are similar-I would not try hitting them with extra costs.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply