If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that what do I do

smeedala00
Community Member

If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that, or they do not offer an acceptable price for me  what do I do?

Thank you

Joe

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that what do I do

you accept it.

you should always set your bidding price at a level that is acceptable to you so that if there is only one bid, you will sell at an acceptable price.

apart from Motors / Boats / Caravans etc there are no Reserve Auctions on ebay australia so your starting price is exactly that, where you want to start the selling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Some whose reasons fit within the below rules (or not, for others), cancel their auction at least 12 hours prior to its ending time, you cannot cancel within 12 hours of the end of an auction. If you cancel an auction,  I would recommend you sent a courtesy email to inform the bidders (if any) that you cannot let the auction finish for whihever of those reasons:

>Ending Your Listing Early

If you cannot complete your listing as planned, you can end your listing before the scheduled date. If there are bids on your item, you can cancel them.

Reasons for ending listings early include:

• The item is no longer available for sale.

• There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.

• There was an error in the listing.

• The item was lost or broken.

Note: Your account will still be charged listing fees (such as the Insertion Fee) if you end your listing early. Consider revising your listing first if there are aspects of it you want to change or improve.

Timing Matters

When there are 12 hours or less remaining and the item has a winning bid, including a reserve met bid, sellers cannot make any changes to the listing, including:

• Ending the item early. Sellers may cancel bids, but not end the item unless the item is being sold to the high bidder.

• Adding to or changing the item description.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

now, I should have added that what can guide you in assessing whether an auction is going to achieve a more or less good price is your number of watchers against that auction, that is the only tool you possess as a seller (number of 'visits', although interesting, is not as indicative), and since bidders on ebay have now decided to place their bid in the last minutes, the last seconds of the end of an auction, in most instances, here is where your dilemna is: to forecast with that tool, essentially (that number of watchers, below the number of bids in 'my ebay'), if you will achieve a good or not price for your item, hence the need for a reserve price now that bidders have changed their bidding behaviour (and furthermore, only two countries including Australia have sellers who cannot put a 'reserve' on their auctions...)...

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

You may be better posting this on the USA Boards.

Whilst the advice will most likely be the same regarding the stareting price, I think they may  have different rules regarding cancelling auctions.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

For some items targeting more specifically an Aussie audience, some prospective bidders in Australia will have a problem with the conversion rate (not good for the seller neither) and it is not to everybody's liking to buy internationally (location can still be a place in Australia though) but yes, it is an alternative if you would like to 'reserve' an auction.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Following favourite sellers I commonly put 99c on the things I like.  I bid until my ceiling is reached and then let it go.  However, sometimes you pick up a bargain for 99c if no one else bids.  That’s life; it can be good or bad.  One seller contacted me ages ago saying that another bidder had accused the seller of inflating the price of their goods.  I think I had bid on every item they had available at that time.  The complainer must have thought I was the seller using a different user code.  Kind of funny really.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Funny? Not so sure, it is one of eBay's weaknesses, unlike what happens with PayPal, eBay bidders/buyers are not verified for most... Can turn into a nightmare, really, I experienced it a couple of times...

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@artinvestaustralia wrote:

For some items targeting more specifically an Aussie audience, some prospective bidders in Australia will have a problem with the conversion rate (not good for the seller neither) and it is not to everybody's liking to buy internationally (location can still be a place in Australia though) but yes, it is an alternative if you would like to 'reserve' an auction.

As putney noted, the OP is registered in the US, so the rules may well be different.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

What are US sellers doing on the boards of eBay Australia? What sort of a mess is that?

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply