Interstate buyer arranging courier for pick up only item wont pay unless I provide address first.

Am I obliged to provide my personal details before she pays? She wants my name, address and mobile number before she will pay. She has bid for and won an item that clearly stated pick up only. She can't pick up herself, therefore can't pay cash. She has to pay with paypal (the only payment opti9on I offered). Is right to withhold payment until I give her my personal details? Or am I right to withhold my personal details until she pays?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Interstate buyer arranging courier for pick up only item wont pay unless I provide address first.

I agree, I would prefer not to sell to this buyer now, and will only do so if I am obliged to.

Is it true I that the only way I can cancel the sale is to wait 4 days to open an unpaid item case, and therefore have to wait another 4 days after day before I can cancel it?

And if she pays in the meantime, I am obliged to facilitate to her courier to pick up, is that correct?

Thanks agian

Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

I agree, I would prefer not to sell to this buyer now, and will only do so if I am obliged to.

You are not obliged to do so.  Your listing was clearly a pickup only listing.

Is it true I that the only way I can cancel the sale is to wait 4 days to open an unpaid item case, and therefore have to wait another 4 days after day before I can cancel it?

No, it is not true.  You can cancel the transaction and choose “problem with buyer address” as the reason.  BUT don’t do this yet, speak to eBay first and/or wait for further advice on this thread.  Remember, some members who post valuable advice on these boards may have gone to bed already.  Give them time to respond tomorrow.

And if she pays in the meantime, I am obliged to facilitate to her courier to pick up, is that correct?

If she pays you are not obliged to provide your details if she intends to organise a courier.

Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

Thank you very much for your time. I will wait for additional advice tomorrow.

Kindest regards!

Message 13 of 39
Latest reply

@nechen0414 wrote:

Thank you very much for your time. I will wait for additional advice tomorrow.

Kindest regards!

but remember, DO NOT communicate with them any more.  You might just say something they will try to use against you.

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

How is it that this buyer hasn't received a 7 day sanction from ebay for 'daring' to ask

for the sellers details before they've paid?

How many members have been sanctioned with a 7 day ban just because a buyer has asked for details?

Both usually get a ban - unfortunately, not just the buyer.

They have to pay before they get the details, according to ebay.

Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

How is it that this buyer hasn't received a 7 day sanction from ebay for 'daring' to ask

for the sellers details before they've paid?

The buyer did actually purchase the item, so exchange of details is ok - plus, providing them before payment is the norm when cash on pick-up is offered / used. 

Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

That was my first thought too, but it's an auction that has been won. So they can ask for details to do cash on pick up.

Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

Once you have purchased you can exchange collection details even if the listing does not have local pick up offered. 

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

What happened with the 1st sale of the identical listing ? Just curious.

Did the buyer ask before bidding if they could organise a courier to collect if they won ? Just curious.

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

I understand if cash on pick up is agreed, then of course the address needs to be given, but this buyer is interstate and can't pick up herself, can't do cash, and that wasn't offered as a payment option anyway. The only payment option I offered was PayPal, and she is booking her own courier to pick it up.

Yes, this was the second time I listed this item. The first time it was posted for auction (a few weeks ago) I noticed the winner hadn't paid so the next day I emailed the winner to ask when they would like to pick up. They replied with a date. I reply that was fine and that once they made payment, I would send the address through. I never heard from them again. I followed up with one more email to ask what was happenning, but still no reply or payment. I really wasn't sure what to do, or if I was allowed to cancel the sale. So after searching ebay it seemed the only way I could close the sale was to open an unpaid item case, wait another 4 days and then close the sale, which I did. I really don't know why I never heard from the winner again?

I then made a second chance offer to 2 other buyer that were out bidded (at their lower bids), but neither of them replied either.

So I then posted it for another auction. Only to have another buyer refusing to pay???

Previously in this blog I was advised I could just cancel the sale now...

"You can cancel the transaction and choose “problem with buyer address” as the reason."

But they also said to wait until someone else could confirm if that was the best way to go. Does anyone know if I can do this, or do I need to wait 4 days and open an unpaid item case.

This person has left untrue negative feedback on my profile already and I want to close this sale in a way that deletes that feedback.

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply