Is 'Good Till Cancelled' only charged the 1 time insertion fee until it sells regardless of how long

I have my buy it now items 'good till cancelled'. I understand there is an insertion fee. But, I do not have to pay this every month right> it is a one off fee till it sells. When I re-list the item then I have to pay another insertion fee, is that right?

Thank you everyone for helping me..

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Is 'Good Till Cancelled' only charged the 1 time insertion fee until it sells regardless of how long

A listing fee is applicable every 30 days. Or taken out of free listings if you have any.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/fees.html

Scroll down and look at insertion fees in the link.

image host
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

But you can only have 1 category to have the free items right?

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

I  have basic store package. and I am allowed 200 free listings.

But it can only be in 1 category>?

I have this one,

yet I must list them in one category?

http://stores.ebay.com.au/electrical-rebuilders-group

Have a look at my store.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

But you can only have 1 category to have the free items right?

You can have multiple categories but you are charged for the extra cat's.

If listed in one cat. only, no additional fee and the listing comes off the free 200 you have if not used.

Personally I don't see the benefit of listing in extra categories as most buyers search using keywords and not aware of what category they appear in.

Most important are the keywords in the title.

image host
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

In respect of the new rules for GUC (good until cancelled) listings I contacted an Ebay representative last week trying to fathom what are the actual facts of what is proposed by Ebay.

The over-riding assumption on many threads is that the GIC listings are charged a fee (or one free listing) on EACH RE-LIST (EVERY 30 DAYS).

Now please read the conversation transcript:

Question (from myself): A couple of questions first. Under 'good until cancelled' upon re-listing, a free listing is used. Is that correct?

Answer (Ebay): No, Once you list the item and it is good till cancelled, it will used up the promo this month and the succeeding months will be free.

Question: So when all of the free listings are used up, are re-lists then charged at $1.65? Not so from what you have just said?

Answer (Ebay) When all the free listings will be used up, the next listing will be charge for $1.65 and relists will be free.

Question: This is all at odds with comments on the forums. Even now I am not sure of the rules. Could you possibly look at my listings and tell me what to expect if I leave them up? My first instinct was to end them all, but from what you are saying, maybe I should'nt.

Answer (Ebay): If you leave them up, you will not be charged if it relists.

Question: But my free listings are disappearing each time one is re-listed. What happens if more items re-list before the end of the month than the amount of my free listings balance?

Answer (Ebay): ***  With this new change, Once the item is relist, it will no longer take up the free listings.***

Question: Ok then so I have to analyse how many listings will re-list and when they have all re-listed once I can start putting new items up. Is that correct?

Answer(Ebay): Yes, that is correct!

My interpretation. From what she told me, sure the existing listings will use up a free listing or will be charged at the normal listing rate if all free listings for the current month are exhausted BUT ONCE THE RELIST HAPPENS (ONCE ONLY) THEN NO ADDITIONAL LISTING FEES ARE PAYABLE ON THAT ITEM UNTIL THE SELLER ENDS THE LISTING OR THE ITEM IS SOLD. Could this be correct? Good until cancelled meaning exactly that with no 30 day relist fee?

BUT IS THIS IN FACT TRUE? Or, have I been a victim of misinformation? Or is my interpretation incorrect? You know, wouldn't it be wonderful if an Ebay representative jumped on and laid out the facts, correctly?

IF this IS in fact true, and after reading much of many threads on this topic, I think there could be a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation in many comments which could be very costly for sellers. I have read where sellers are thinking about moving up to the next store level, at considerable expense, for the sole purpose of getting enough additional free listings to cover their items which they assume will be charged for re-listing every 30 days.

I suppose in the absence of knowledgable Ebay comment, I am as much up in the air as everybody else. BUT........just assume the above comments by the Ebay representative are true. Then all I have to do is:

1. check the remaining free listings balance for the month.
2. look how many listings will end before the end of the month.
3. end the quantity of listings that are in excess of the free listing balance
4. at the start of the new month, do the same analysis and use up the 40 free listings in the same way.
5. when my inventory is re-listed with GUC, I can then use free listings to re-list the items I ended previously
6. once I have relisted all inventory, I can then resume listing new items, as before the change

Sure it may take a couple of months ( I have just over 100 items listed), but when the initial pain is over all is good, until, of course, Ebay decides to change the goal posts again!!

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

That's what a lot of us were told.

However, when you creaste a listing it states, just under the GTC duration - Listings renew automatically every 30 days, based on the listing terms at that time, until all quantities sell or the listing ends. Each time a listing renews and when an item sells, you’ll be charged applicable fees.

So it comes down to how much you believe a call centre employee in Manila, versus what eBay has actually programmed into their website.

it could well be that applicable fees for rollovers are $0, but I won't be betting my business model on it.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Just dragged this off the site:

"If you set your fixed price listing as "Good 'Til Cancelled" in the advanced listing tool, it will renew automatically every 30 days unless all of the items sell, you end the listing, or the listing violates an eBay policy.

No additional insertion fees apply for non-business sellers."

So am I reading that for Ebay store owners, additional insertion fees every 30 days do apply?

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

I will let you know on 22 March, when my GTCs start to rollover. Until then I will assume that, yes, they will incur fees.

I would also ask what additional fees they are talking about. GTC listings have traditionally incurred a listing fee on rollover, so maybe they are referring to fees additional to that.

This is eBay we're talking about, whose transparency approaches that of a black hole.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

@pjh09 wrote:

Just dragged this off the site:

"If you set your fixed price listing as "Good 'Til Cancelled" in the advanced listing tool, it will renew automatically every 30 days unless all of the items sell, you end the listing, or the listing violates an eBay policy.

No additional insertion fees apply for non-business sellers."

So am I reading that for Ebay store owners, additional insertion fees every 30 days do apply?

I wouldn't count on that still being correct - that first line seems to indicate it was written when GTC was still optional for FPLs - it's quite likely eBay haven't got around to updating their documentation to reflect the changes just introduced.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 25
Latest reply