Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

The SS Marriage plebiscite has highlighted the fact that it can be illegal for businesses to refuse to sell porducts to customers based on various criteria. 

ebay allows sellers to block up to 5000 users and there is no need to provide a reason.

Curious as to whether that might be illegal.

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I don't get non paying bidders, yet am still forced into immediate payment.  As for blocking people, if someone sends a message, or bids and I check their feedback left for others, and every feedback left is red and/or indicates they have had a refund or something, then I have absolutely every right in the world to block them. I WILL NOT encourage eBay shoplifting. If I can see that is what someone is doing, then they are not buying from me and if I had the option to state that's why I blocked them, then I would sure as hell use it. 

It's been awhile since you've sold Springy. Some things have changed. You've also been around these forums long enough just as a buyer to know that eBay shoplifting is rife. You have also seen where sellers are having a problem and most people will ask "what is their feedback left for others like? Does it look like this is a common thing with them?". If there is a dropdown to select, then I would definitely want the option of having bad feedback left for others. Screw them.

The trouble these days is, someone only has to be walking down the street and look someone in the eye to be called a racist or be discriminating against them in some way. Political correctness has gone out of control.

Spoiler
Time to go and watch season 1 of Swift and Shift Couriers. I suggest others do the same. It's better than season 2. The PC **bleep**ers will love it.

I wasn't trying to argue that a seller shouldn't have the right to refuse to sell to some buyers. Even back when we were selling, we blocked people whose Fb score was negative (which I think was how it was done back then).

I certainly know how dodgy some buyers can be, we have struck a few in more recent years. I wouldn't want them again either.

And i totally agree political correctness has got out of control.

All I was saying was that ebay may one day tighten up the restriction practice. I would almost guarantee though that 'they left bad feedback for others' won't be on any restriction menu as a reason.

Which doesn't mean you couldn't add them to your blocked list, ebay if they made you pick a reason would provide one vague option or choice of "other'  if it ever does come down to this.Smiley Wink

Message 51 of 62
Latest reply

Thinking about it, a dropdown with reasons you've blocked a buyer could be very useful. I decide to block buyer abc-123. They don't have to wonder why they are blocked because if they try to buy from me, they will get a big pop up saying "you are a scumbag buyer, who is also a shoplifter. You suck as a buyer. May the hairs in your nostrils turn to watermelons. Bite me!". Oh if only we could write our own messages that buyers would see if they were blocked from buying! I have 100 different things I'd like to add to a list!

Message 52 of 62
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Thinking about it, a dropdown with reasons you've blocked a buyer could be very useful. I decide to block buyer abc-123. They don't have to wonder why they are blocked because if they try to buy from me, they will get a big pop up saying "you are a scumbag buyer, who is also a shoplifter. You suck as a buyer. May the hairs in your nostrils turn to watermelons. Bite me!". Oh if only we could write our own messages that buyers would see if they were blocked from buying! I have 100 different things I'd like to add to a list!

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Made me laugh. Might be over 80 characters though & you know how ebay likes to budget.

Actually, there is one thing ebay doesn't do well at the moment (well, amongst other things) & that is, make consequences clear to customers. I've seen quite a few come in here asking why they are blocked.

Sometimes it might be a simple reason eg seller doesn't post to their region but sometimes it could be because they have 2 unpaid item strikes. I'm a great believer in consequences but they're no use if a person doesn't realise they are a consequence.

Maybe when a person is blocked, ebay should flash up a sign that says-you are blocked from bidding with this seller. Possible reasons could be.... x,y.z.

Message 53 of 62
Latest reply

I,m pretty sure when a buyer is on a sellers BBL there is a message with a link to a page which gives some of the reasons a buyer is blocked. At the risk of stiring up the pedants on the boards ( again ),  I blocked one of my selling id,s on another of my accounts, just to see what message they recieved when trying to buy.

Message 54 of 62
Latest reply

OK, I have checked my blocks are working and what a buyer who is blocked see,s is a message in red bold type that says, " Sorry this seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time " and a link " learn more". The learn more link takes you to a general buying page with one section devoted to sellers not accepting bids from buyers. This has a small section which only states that a seller may not accept your bid because they only accept payment options or postage preferences which you dont meet. Nothing about bad buyer behaviour. ( of course ) . It goes on to recommend buyers contact the seller to possibly have selling restrictions removed.

Another small, but interesting detail is that the BBL updates whern a buyer changes their id, recording their new name in place of their old name.

Message 55 of 62
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

OK, I have checked my blocks are working and what a buyer who is blocked see,s is a message in red bold type that says, " Sorry this seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time " and a link " learn more". The learn more link takes you to a general buying page with one section devoted to sellers not accepting bids from buyers. This has a small section which only states that a seller may not accept your bid because they only accept payment options or postage preferences which you dont meet. Nothing about bad buyer behaviour. ( of course ) . It goes on to recommend buyers contact the seller to possibly have selling restrictions removed.

Another small, but interesting detail is that the BBL updates whern a buyer changes their id, recording their new name in place of their old name.

That's very interesting, chameleon. It sounds to me as if a buyer has to work a bit to get to the section about reasons & then nothing like 'buyers with 2 or more unpaid item cases within 6-12 months' is listed.

Ebay doesn't seem to want buyers to even know that unpaid item strikes count for anything. In fact they seem to hope sellers will lift the restrictions. Anything for a sale.

If they're this coy, I just have this feeling that tippy's "you are a scumbag buyer who is also a shoplifter' is somehow not going to fly with them.Smiley Wink

Don't worry, tippy, I used to write school reports so I know all about tiptoeing through the tulips, as it were.Smiley Very Happy

Message 56 of 62
Latest reply

I'd be enormously interested to know:

a) How a seller would automatically know that a bidder is LBTGQI (and any other letter of the alphabet I've missed), and therefore be able to block them

b) How a blocked buyer would automatically know that they've been blocked because of their sexual preference (granted, there might be a persecution complex component operating for that one)

ESP?

Message 57 of 62
Latest reply

@performance_parts_clearance_centre wrote:

I'd be enormously interested to know:

a) How a seller would automatically know that a bidder is LBTGQI (and any other letter of the alphabet I've missed), and therefore be able to block them

b) How a blocked buyer would automatically know that they've been blocked because of their sexual preference (granted, there might be a persecution complex component operating for that one)

ESP?

Well, it's not like that sort of thing would never come up.

Personalised or gendered couples items, wedding paraphenalia (eg invitations, personalised decorations). etc etc etc

Message 58 of 62
Latest reply

Out of all the gazillion items on ebay, a few invitations and what not are pushing it a bit. If I sell handbags, I wouldn't know if it was a lesbian that bought it, or a trans for that matter. If I sold leather pants, I wouldn't know if it was a gay man that bought it. I could be selling invitations and the buyer asks for the names Kim and Joe to be added. Are they both male? Are they both female? Are they one of each? 

I think some people just love playing the victim so will use their personal circumstances as an excuse, for anything and everything, and expect everyone to know about them. Look at how many people use having an autistic kid as an excuse? Granted, these days it would be easy to assume that there is an autistic kid involved, because most people seem to have one. I've had people play the disabled pensioner card with me and they get nothing. In fact, normally I'd do whatever I could for an unhappy buyer, but once someone starts playing their cards, they can get stuffed.

Message 59 of 62
Latest reply

Tippy, there are always going to be members of minority groups who will scream discrimination even when there is none.

They have a chip on their shoulder as big as a Californian Redwood and see discrimination everywhere.

Message 60 of 62
Latest reply