Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

The SS Marriage plebiscite has highlighted the fact that it can be illegal for businesses to refuse to sell porducts to customers based on various criteria. 

ebay allows sellers to block up to 5000 users and there is no need to provide a reason.

Curious as to whether that might be illegal.

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

No one is getting heated about anything. You just don't seem to understand that unless you said to someone "I'm not selling to you because you are a gay black man", then a buyer can scream discrimination all they like, but they can't prove anything. It wouldn't get past a single lawyer visit, let alone ever making it to court. 

No, there are no legal raminfications in refusing to sell to someone, unless you choose to make it so, by stating the above quote.

I have blocked people because they contacted me after not being happy with their item and that I was discriminating against them because they had a disability, they were a carer, or their child was autistic. Excuse me? How the hell would I know who they were! They can accuse all they like, but unless I know them personally, how am I supposed to know? It also makes no difference. In fact, people playing the disability card get my back up.

If they want to play disability, come to my house where something as simple as having a shower could drown Mr Tippy. He can work, drive a b-double, go camping, but even consider going swimming or having a shower, that could kill him. Any seller I buy off would never know that in a million years. There is nothing in my name, username, location, or the items I buy that would ever indicate there was an issue.

Message 31 of 62
Latest reply

Some of the responses are a little weird here. I thought this was a discussion board - exchange of ideas, respecting other people's opinions, etc etc. 

Message 32 of 62
Latest reply

Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

No.

image host
Message 34 of 62
Latest reply

I'm not sure what is weird when you basically asked how SSM marriage would affect the eBay BBL. The two have absolutely nothing in common. You asked a question, people gave their opinions. What else did you expect? No one is going to agree with you because sellers can block whoever they like, for whatever reason they like.

Message 35 of 62
Latest reply

Isn't that what is happening?

What is weird?

The thread is in danger of going off topic, which is a posting violation but otherwise thre is nothing weird that I have seen.

Message 36 of 62
Latest reply

I think the OP was very brave to start a controversial thread with their selling ID

Message 37 of 62
Latest reply

Brave or..................??????????????

Message 38 of 62
Latest reply

I'm not sure if any of these people buy on eBay. A lot probably do. How could you tell who they were? This is what a percentage of the population thinks is going to happen with this new law. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOJgDW0gPI

Message 39 of 62
Latest reply

Lyndal!   I was being diplomatic (when it's not in my nature to do so)

Message 40 of 62
Latest reply