Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

The SS Marriage plebiscite has highlighted the fact that it can be illegal for businesses to refuse to sell porducts to customers based on various criteria. 

ebay allows sellers to block up to 5000 users and there is no need to provide a reason.

Curious as to whether that might be illegal.

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I doubt it.   Most retail businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone they do not want to deal with...they do not have to give a reason.   Ebay is the same.

Message 2 of 62
Latest reply

Well, it looks like the government will need to pass new laws to allow marriage celebrants to refuse service based on religious beliefs so you cant just arbitrarily refuse to sell to someone.

Message 3 of 62
Latest reply

Refusing to marry someone on religious grounds is a far cry from refusing retail service to anyone.

It has been legal for as long as I can remember...over 60 years now.

Message 4 of 62
Latest reply

They are also talking about sellers refusing to sell other products purely based on religious beliefs. That can be deemed as illegal.

Message 5 of 62
Latest reply

Why are people assuming that this change in law is going to cause the implosion of the world? Retailers have always been able to refuse to serve people. Some even have signs in their shops saying as much. Celebrants have always been able to refuse to marry someone. My sister contacted 3 before one agreed. The other 2 weren't interested in driving out into the middle of her cow paddock where they wanted the ceremony. Their choice. 

No one has to give a reason why they are refusing service. My shop, my rules. I don't care who you think you are, I'm not serving you. Plain and simple as that. If the person then wants to read something into it, whereby they felt discriminated against, they have to prove it. Given most shops these days have CCTV, it's going to be much harder to prove it. 

Someone screaming discrimination because someone refused to serve them because they were rude, on their phone, whatever, would be like Mr Tippy screaming discrimination because he was refused a job as a life guard (if he gets in water he will drown, absolutely no avoiding it).

People are taking this discrimination thing too far. I even have people at work saying I am racist and discriminating against my Africa colleague by saying the word black in front of her. Could be in reference to a black car or a black dress. 

As for eBay, I also have a right to refuse to sell to people if I like. If someone starts playing the disability card, blocked. They are usually the biggest trouble makers. If someone leaves a lot of bad feedback and has a history of most items not arriving, I will block them too. I can refuse to sell to whoever I like. I don't give a toss who is on the other end of the keyboard. I don't care whether you are gay, disabled, black, or have no arms and no legs. If I don't want to sell to you, I won't. 

Of course if a shop assistant screamed "I'm not selling to you because you are a retard in a wheelchair and your appearance disgusts me", that's probably a bit different, but to just say no, it's their choice. 

Message 6 of 62
Latest reply

I think sellers should be able to block some bidders but I am simply curious as to whether it is legal or not.

Message 7 of 62
Latest reply

@moviemem wrote:

They are also talking about sellers refusing to sell other products purely based on religious beliefs. That can be deemed as illegal.

Who is "they"?   Until it actually happens how is it illegal?   Just talking about it does not make it illegal.

Take it from me, there are enough members of the Gay community who can provide all the services that "they" are talking about.

Just among the gay people I know there is a makeup artist, 2 professional cake makers, 2 florists/floral artists and goodness knows how many photographers, as well as several event organisers.

I am sure the gay community will be well able to organise all the weddings that they want without having to resort to dealing with businesses that do not want to give them service.

I have a friend (not gay) who has done cake decorating for many years.  During a recent discussion she made the comment that she would have no reason to even know who the cake was for unless the person doing the ordering told her of any special requirements.

Most clients knew what sort of cake they wanted, such and a fruit cake or a mud cake, and most chose the decorations from a very large portfolio of photos she had.

Message 8 of 62
Latest reply

@moviemem wrote:

I think sellers should be able to block some bidders but I am simply curious as to whether it is legal or not.

It has been ebay policy for so long that if it were illegal someone would have been screaming long before now.

There are enough members who make it their business to challenge every policy that ebay implements....they would not have let this go under the radar if it was illegal.

Message 9 of 62
Latest reply

"They" are our politiciians who are currently debating this is the Senate.

Message 10 of 62
Latest reply