Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

The SS Marriage plebiscite has highlighted the fact that it can be illegal for businesses to refuse to sell porducts to customers based on various criteria. 

ebay allows sellers to block up to 5000 users and there is no need to provide a reason.

Curious as to whether that might be illegal.

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Out of all the gazillion items on ebay, a few invitations and what not are pushing it a bit.

Pushing what, exactly?

My post simply stated there would be scenarios where it is possible for someone to A) find out a potential customer isn't straight, and B) refuse to sell to them because of it, and then I gave a couple of examples where that possibility would / could exist. Where's the "victim card" in that?

Victimhood is one thing, but I'm sorry, it's just not relevant here - I wasn't talking about someone assuming a seller wouldn't sell to them because they're gay, I'm talking about situations where a seller will expressly state that is the reason for the refusal. Maybe a more detailed example would help - I used to sell gendered couples necklaces, I made the listings with variations so people could choose His & Hers, His & His, and Hers & Hers. Let's say I didn't, and someone asked if they could buy a His & His combo for himself and his boyfriend (maybe husband in the future), and I replied with no way, I don't sell to people like you, blocked them, and they tried to buy two to get the combo anyway. Seems pretty obvious that it's discrimintation to me.

But what would I know - I'm a straight white female with no disabilities, who owns their own business and is the very definition of a loner. I rarely, if ever, am in a situation where the possibility for discrimination can occur. I do have people in my life who do experience it, though, and I read. A lot. From both sides, because I like to understand these issues before opining about them, but still... What would I really knowSmiley Indifferent

Message 61 of 62
Latest reply

That's pretty much what I said in an earlier post. If someone straight out said I refuse to deal with you because you are gay, black, have blue eyes, a disability, then yes, that is discrimination and the person would have a right to protest (assuming the seller knows that about the buyer). However, the ones that are usually screaming that they are being discriminated against, the seller would have no idea of their situation unless they came straight out and told them. These are the people that say they are being discriminated against for being Muslim, black, gay, when they've tried to buy some plant seeds and were blocked for having too many UPIs. Seller not knowing who they were from Adam. Even more so that their ID is blocked in the blocked activity log.

Message 62 of 62
Latest reply