Is ebay's BLOCK BIDDER option illegal discrimination?

The SS Marriage plebiscite has highlighted the fact that it can be illegal for businesses to refuse to sell porducts to customers based on various criteria. 

ebay allows sellers to block up to 5000 users and there is no need to provide a reason.

Curious as to whether that might be illegal.

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

@moviemem wrote:

I think generally sellers block bidders after they have had a previous transaction with them. So it is quite possible that they could block them puerly based on discrimination.

Would it surprise you to know that some sellers block members who post on the boards based on what they say on the boards?

There was one member here who openly stated that she had blocked all the regular posters on the boards.

She never realised that I bought from her on another ID which was not used on the boards.

How could you prove discrimination if you do not know why you are blocked?

Message 21 of 62
Latest reply

Please post a link to where the government is debating eBay's BBLs.

Can't find one? I thought not.....................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 62
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@moviemem wrote:

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@moviemem wrote:

Well, it looks like the government will need to pass new laws to allow marriage celebrants to refuse service based on religious beliefs so you cant just arbitrarily refuse to sell to someone.

this is just so ridiculous that it doesn’t warrant a response.

Spoiler
It is a wonder that eBay blocked bidder list wasn’t a part of the “No” advertising. I’m sure Pansy Lai is kicking herself for not thinking of including it in the ads. I’m sure that had they done so the “Yes” campaign would have failed dismally.

It may sound ridiculous but that is what they are currently debating in the Senate.

they are not debating arbitrarily refusing to sell to someone, they are debating refusing to sell based on sexual orientation.  There is a vast difference between the two.

Spoiler
the scaremongering continues.

They are bringing religion and ethnic backgrounds into it as well. From what I can gather, there is actually no law that stops anyone from refusing to sell to another person but if discrimination is involved then that can be illegal.

Message 23 of 62
Latest reply

Prove to me that I am discriminating against you by blocking you? I thought so. You're welcome.

Message 24 of 62
Latest reply

You go Tippy. I have just fell off my seat laughing especially this part and I quote from your post "Because the chronically outraged now have something else to be outraged about". You have hit the nail on the head. Seems we have become a country of outraged citizens with nothing else better to do than moan about everything and everyone else. What has happened to the good old Aussie way of life where people said "she'll be right mate" and got on with it. I have a principle in my life. I live my life they way I want to(within the law)and keep it to myself and let other people live their lives they way they want but just don't keep shoving it down my throat. I am over it! You are right as I also have no idea whom I am selling to. They are just a user name(and a valued customer)to me as well. I have blocked buyers and it is usually for a good reason. For instance - failure to pay or even communicate. That is a biggy for me.

Have a wonderful day Tippy. Cheers.

Message 25 of 62
Latest reply

@moviemem wrote:

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@moviemem wrote:

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@moviemem wrote:

Well, it looks like the government will need to pass new laws to allow marriage celebrants to refuse service based on religious beliefs so you cant just arbitrarily refuse to sell to someone.

this is just so ridiculous that it doesn’t warrant a response.

Spoiler
It is a wonder that eBay blocked bidder list wasn’t a part of the “No” advertising. I’m sure Pansy Lai is kicking herself for not thinking of including it in the ads. I’m sure that had they done so the “Yes” campaign would have failed dismally.

It may sound ridiculous but that is what they are currently debating in the Senate.

they are not debating arbitrarily refusing to sell to someone, they are debating refusing to sell based on sexual orientation.  There is a vast difference between the two.

Spoiler
the scaremongering continues.

They are bringing religion and ethnic backgrounds into it as well. From what I can gather, there is actually no law that stops anyone from refusing to sell to another person but if discrimination is involved then that can be illegal.

still nothing to do with eBay BBL.

As for discrimination based on ethnic background and sexual orientation, even if I changed my eBay ID to one-long-prong it would not mean I was Asian, or in a same sex relationship.

Message 26 of 62
Latest reply

Hey guys. I was simply curious about whether there are legal ramifications in refusing to sell to people. Obviously, some people have very valid reasons (including me). No need to get heated about it. 

Message 27 of 62
Latest reply

@moviemem wrote:

Congratulations, you have finally accepted what I told you at the start of this thread.....anyone can refuse to sell to any other person for any reason at all.  And it could only be discrimination if the person refusing the service gave you a reason for the refusal.

Now, have you taken any notice of my statement that some sellers block posters on the boards because they do not like what they say on the boards?

Message 28 of 62
Latest reply

@moviemem wrote:

Hey guys. I was simply curious about whether there are legal ramifications in refusing to sell to people. Obviously, some people have very valid reasons (including me). No need to get heated about it. 

what a cop out.  You come here and start sprouting BS about now that SSM will be legalised it raises questions about eBay BBL and now say no need to get heated about it.

Message 29 of 62
Latest reply

@moviemem wrote:

Smiley LOL It is a good thing you don't know my other ID then.....not that I am likely to be buying what you are selling.

Message 30 of 62
Latest reply