Is this guy duplicate duplicate listing?

Hi guys, I wondered why my "Tactical Spork" sales were down, so I entered SPORK into Cassini. Then a tonne of Sporks appeared from a single seller. If you search for SPORK you will know what I mean.

Is this acceptable? Can you list items by different colour? IE A red spork, green spork, black spork etc or is it classed as duplicate listings? A variation listing would be far more appropriate, my little listing is getting lost among his.

I appreciate your input

Sincerely

David
Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I think as long as something like the colour is different then it's OK. It would only be an issue if someone had 10 listings for say 10m x 1" pink ribbon and each ad was identical. As in, the colour, the length, the quantity were all the same. Someone could be selling envelopes and one ad could be in a pack of 5, another a pack of 10, another a pack of 20. Even though they are all exactly the same size envelopes, the quantities are different.

Yes, it would make sense for that seller to have a multivariation listing if the colour is the only difference, but maybe by having them all individual, it gives them more exposure in the search results?

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

hi i do the same on some lines , as its a lot easier at the end , if i have in discription mix colors , buyers click buy 2 for instance  then i have to be on the buyers back to which color they want , as sometimes they want 1 of each  , so now i list seperately and no confusing.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

As far as ebay are concerned, it is permissable if there is some form of difference, i.e. size, colour or quantity.

Much better for the reputation of the site if all sellers used multi variation in these situations.

I loathe having to scroll through sooo many I am not interested in.

In fact I won't buy from experienced sellers if it appears they are intentionally trying to advantage their position in searches.

I much prefer your product any day. 

image host
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Much better for the reputation of the site if all sellers used multi variation in these situations.

Ideally yes, but sometimes multi-variations are just not an option. I sell in one category where eBay does not offer variations, so listings with different variants have to be listed separately, or else I am constantly having to chase buyers for preferences.  I have asked a number of times for them to consider adding variants for this category, but to no avail.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

sometimes to list separatly is easiest for the buyer straight forward this color , this style and so.  too many hassels doing multi

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Maybe contact eBay and find out their thoughts?

They are trying to reduce this type of search and browse manipulation for near identical items.

This could bring it to their attention that they need to further fix their policy to include these type of listings.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks guys, as much as I hate to do it, I'll have a chat to eBay and see what they think. I will keep you posted.
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Penny, naturally I am only referring to the situations where categories with that option is available.

I am more against the sellers blatantly abusing the priviledge.

As tazz mentions manipulating searches will just push buyers away.

Good on you for pressing ebay for other categories to have multi variations.

image host
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

@aussie.grazing.boards wrote:

Is this acceptable? Can you list items by different colour? 

Technically, I think at the very least it's "frowned upon" if not outright against policy, at least in categories where variation listings are possible. 

Two quotes from the duplicate listing policy that highlights this (for me):

"Listings are considered duplicates if they are for items that have no significant difference between them"

"List items with variations such as size and colour in one fixed price listing with variations"

I personally interpret the policy as saying that colour and size on otherwise identical items are not significant differences - other's interpretations may vary. The trouble is, no matter how we plebs interpret eBay policy anyway, how ebay interpret and/or enforce it on with any given seller can vary quite a lot. I've seen sellers get hit with policy violations for duplicate listings when each one definitely had a significant difference, and yet others can get away with listing undeniably 100% identical listings with no action taken by eBay, so whether it is or isn't is kind of at the whim of eBay. 

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply