Item refunded due to non delivery but has been returned to me.

I sold a CD to a buyer in Norway on 11th March and shipped it the same day. On 8th April he complained that it hadn't arrived and PayPal gave him a complete refund. I have checked and ascertained that I posted it to the address he gave me. The returned item bears a sticker stating that it has been returned unclaimed. The CD was only $13 however the postage was $32, meaning that whilst I have the CD I have lost $32 in postage. Can Discogs do anything about this or is it a matter for PayPal?

Message 1 of 67
Latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

But Dave,     As you have stated the buyer paid for postage, but was refunded by the seller

Therefore the buyer has not paid anything to anybody.

If the item was not posted, all good your maths is correct.

But you are failing to aknowledge that   AP was paid  $32  by the seller, which is never going to be refunded to the seller as the item was shipped to Poland  and subsequently returned undelivered.   That  $32  is out of the sellers pocket, it does not magically appear from thin  air.

Now possibly a further kicker for the  OP,  when you  ship international, as part of the declaration, you are required to indicate what is going to happen to the item should it be undeliverable.   You can request the item be abandoned, or returned to sender.  Not 100% sure but as the item has been returned, the AP may yet be up for further charges,  namely the return post.

Hopefully not.

Message 41 of 67
Latest reply

Buyer pays $42, You were paid $10, Australia Post was paid $32, buyer was refunded $42 from your account! You are therefore down $32 .

Message 42 of 67
Latest reply

dave who paid Auspost in your scenario?

Message 43 of 67
Latest reply

Now possibly a further kicker for the OP, when you ship international, as part of the declaration, you are required to indicate what is going to happen to the item should it be undeliverable. You can request the item be abandoned, or returned to sender. Not 100% sure but as the item has been returned, the AP may yet be up for further charges, namely the return post.

Final part should  Read    the  OP, both occurences,  not AP  as per second occurrence

To late to edit

Message 44 of 67
Latest reply

BUYER ๐Ÿ˜ƒ        >>>>>$32>>>>>>>>>>>SELLER๐Ÿ˜ƒ   >>>>>>>$32>>>>>>>>>>AP๐Ÿ˜ƒ

BUYER๐Ÿ˜ƒ         <<<<<$32<<<<<<<<<<<SELLER๐Ÿ˜ก    ................................................AP๐Ÿ˜ƒ                                         

Message 45 of 67
Latest reply

Just what is it you fail to understand.

The buyer was TOTALLY refunded - therefore paid no postage whatsoever.

But the item was sent at a cost of $32.

Message 46 of 67
Latest reply

The buyer!

It's not hard, bump, and various others who can't do simple maths.

Message 47 of 67
Latest reply

Buyer pays $42, You were paid $10, Australia Post was paid $32, buyer was refunded $42 from your account! You are therefore down $32 .

Buyer pays $42, seller was paid $42, AP was paid $32, buyer was refunded $42 of the $42 seller was paid.

The POSTAGE was funded by the buyer in the original transaction! The refund comes from the payment the buyer made!

Use a calculator if you can't work it out. Mathematics is the base of civilisation. It seems civilisation is dying.

Message 48 of 67
Latest reply

There appears to be 20 people who think the seller is out of pocket, and only one person who seems to think the seller is not out of pocket.

To me it is obvious who is mathematically and logically struggling.

Message 49 of 67
Latest reply

During refunds we always lose on postage. Since we refund the postage to buyers but Aus Post will not refund the same to us. I thought this is just common sense.

Message 50 of 67
Latest reply