Layby - is it possible on Australian eBay?

Is there anyone out there successfully offering their buyers layby through the current Australian eBay systems?

Afterpay is not the answer for every buyer.

Once upon a time I used to tell my buyer to 'buy it now' but NOT pay - so I would get the buyers phone number at least (used to get email address) so layby conditions and payment information could be arranged - BUT, it now seems that the buyer must 'confirm and pay' otherwise it goes nowhere.

It used to work ok - eBay got their fees (I'm not trying to avoid fees) - I'd tell the buyer to ignore the payment reminders sent by eBay, and I'd have my contact information to  proceed with layby arrangements.

Would love to hear if anyone has found a way to offer layby - particularly to new buyers you have never had prior interaction with.

Thanking you!!

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Layby - is it possible on Australian eBay?

Until recently they also sent messages to complete checkout when you had items in your cart. "Incomplete checkout", "Please complete checkout", but they seem to have finally understood people didn't like it.

Message 21 of 74
Latest reply

As an answer to your question - No.

Message 22 of 74
Latest reply

Nup - doesn't work - hit 'confirm and pay' button and it confirms and pays.... Never mind, I don't often get asked for lay-by from unknown buyers so will let this one go

Message 23 of 74
Latest reply

From the policy.

Only payment methods offered at eBay checkout are allowed.

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/payment-methods-policy/policies/payment-methods-policy?id=4269&st=3&pos...

Message 24 of 74
Latest reply

@tentrees123 wrote:

Nup - doesn't work - hit 'confirm and pay' button and it confirms and pays.... Never mind, I don't often get asked for lay-by from unknown buyers so will let this one go

Are you signed in to PayPal? At some stage, PP had "recognized my device" so I didn't have to sign in any more. I disabled that and now I have to sign in every time I pay. 

Message 25 of 74
Latest reply

It has worked for me with my 'regulars' - people I've dealt with before - so we 'know' each other and have established trust. I always offer them the usual options to return for full refund if item doesn't suit etc. A new buyer on the other hand is a risk, but that I weigh up - actually don't think I've ever done a lay-by with an unknown buyer so will put the whole idea back in the box (until the next time it yanks my chain 😆)

Message 26 of 74
Latest reply

Well obviously communication is the key. Usually I am only asked by known customers to give them payment by instalment options. We have 'history' so mutual trust is established. I update them of payments received and balance owing etc. I've decided I won't pursue the lay-by with this unknown buyer - but no doubt in the future it will set me off again and I'll wish there was an option outside of the ilk of afterpay etc.

Message 27 of 74
Latest reply

Nah, it is a piece of jewellery and a bit uncomfortable 😁

Message 28 of 74
Latest reply

Under managed payments terms, there is no provision for part payments/installments to be made.  When Pay4, afterpay etc are used, the full payment is made to ebay at time of purchase/payment, with any part payment being by agreement with the buyer and credit provider.

Message 29 of 74
Latest reply

No, but it does not allow me to uncheck all the boxes - so one payment method or the other always has a check mark against it whether it be card, pp or whatever

Message 30 of 74
Latest reply