Local-pickup return obligations? Buyer asking for $100 bank transfer because item not as described.

Hello, I am not very experienced with ebay, and I have ended up with my first complaint, which is upsetting me a bit, as I really try to be as open and honest as possible. To me this sale wasn't about the money, but rather a sentimental item that had been in my family my entire life, that I hoped to go to a good home. I would like to get your perspective on this, what my obligations are, and what I should do?

I recently listed a chest of drawers for $80, which I didn't know much about at the time (I am currently trying to clear out an entire house asap). I put up 3 pictures, and described it as I saw it, as "Really nice, solid antique set of drawers. In excellent condition." I was surprised that there was a lot of interest in the drawers. I realized late towards the end of the auction that they are in fact quite antique (19th century) and I found a receipt for their purchase from 1982 for $400. However, it was too late to modify the ad or remove it. In end they were sold for $417, and were Local-pickup only.

The buyer came (two people) to pickup the drawers and paid in cash, and took them home. A few days later they have sent me a message to say that they are not happy with the drawers, and they are not in great condition and there a several issues with them, and if they had known they would not have completed the transaction, but they say that if I transfer $100 to their bank account, they will hold onto the drawers. The thing that particularly annoys me about this is that this buyer sent me a message a few hours before the end of the sale asking about the wood, where I told them that I recently found out it is cedar and I have a receipt for their sale for $400 in 1982 (which I showed when they picked them up). They are the only buyer to have known this, as I couldn't modify the ad anymore (I tried). These drawers are likely more valuable than what they got them for, and they are now asking for me send them money.

Questions:

(1) What are my obligations as the seller for local pickup returns? They were able to inspect the item when they picked it up. Do I still have an obligation?

(2) If I say that I will give them a complete refund, whose obligation is it to return the item?

(3) Are they allowed to ask for compensation by means of a bank transfer? And why $100? It is not my fault where they live.

(4) Is there a specific rule for what the definition conditions listed in ads? E.g. Does "excellent" condition imply something in particular? I used the term perhaps loosely, but I still think the drawers are in very good condition (especially now considering their age).

There was no part where I tried to mislead them at all, but perhaps I should have been more careful - but I am in such a rush to clear stuff, and I didn't expect them to go for much, that I thought that people would inspect them when they come anyway. These drawers are quite sentimental to me, and I didn't want to part with them, and now thinking perhaps it is a sign I should try and hold onto to them (not sure where they will fit though...). Thank you for your help!

Cheers, Steve

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Local-pickup return obligations? Buyer asking for $100 bank transfer because item not as describ

I had an experience like this, a lot can happen in a "few days". They may of damaged it themselves, had a buyer for it fall through. Stick with the advice given here. If they were concerned about the  condition of the item they had their chance to raise their concerns at the time of pick-up.

What you could do for future listings is make up some conditions. If people don't want to read them that's their fault.

I find "Buyer Beware SELLING AS IS" a good way to warn people that  there is no refund on stuff  if its damaged or you're not sure about.

Also:" Photos are part of the description, please study and make your own judgement."

It's good to be proactive, but sometimes you have to be reactive when you learn from a mistake or something like this.

It's up to you to protect yourself, as long as you don't contradict ebay's rules.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

Re: Local-pickup return obligations? Buyer asking for $100 bank transfer because item not as describ

Cheers, yeah, sounds like good advice. I will be much more careful from now on, and will list some conditions regarding the sale in the future. I will take the advice of people on this forum, and not respond (and will definitely not pay the $100). It is interesting to me that they haven't replied after I asked for pictures of the damage quite a while ago. Guess I'll see what happens. Glad I know where I stand now.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

Hey, guess what?     There is no damage.   Funny, about that.

Stick to your guns.  

I'm glad you didn't cave into their demands of $100 refund.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

There is just one thing you needed to know in this case.....when the buyer pays cash on pickup they have no recourse for a refund.

Requesting a photo can have 2 outcomes...either you never hear from them again or they deliberately damage the item to get their refund. While this does not affect your transaction, in an item that has been posted this can be a worry as the buyer does have access to ebay to enforce the refund.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

They may leave you a neg feedback. Which you can respond to. Do not leave a false posititve or ebay will jump on you.

Could  go like this:

"Seller sold damaged goods blah blah."

Where you could reply with the truth.

Buyer picked and paid, then asks for  a partial refund, while on selling it  for $1000"

Or something like that.

Which colud force them to remove their neg feedback.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

@max-power-modelsnstuff wrote:

They may leave you a neg feedback. Which you can respond to. Do not leave a false posititve or ebay will jump on you.

Could  go like this:

"Seller sold damaged goods blah blah."

Where you could reply with the truth.

Buyer picked and paid, then asks for  a partial refund, while on selling it  for $1000"

Or something like that.

Which colud force them to remove their neg feedback.

Best not to leave any follow-up FB to a neg until you've exhausted every avenue of eBay removing the neg, follow-ups often damage the seller more than the original neg.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Like others have said you're not obligated to refund anything if you don't want to. They should have inspected before paying.

If anything I think you should tell them to return it and you will give them a full refund (provided it's in the same condition) and sell it again yourself.

Gosh that's a big difference in price! I think I need to learn about antiques!

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

I'm with stawka on this.

They got a good buy and are hoping to push you into giving them even more.

A bank transfer? Really? I don't trust them.

And I know pick up items aren't supposed to be covered by ebay but what if they did say they were damaged blah blah blah and some ebay rep refunded them the full purchase price? They would have all the refund plus the bank tranfer then, wouldn't they.

You don't have to give any partial refund and I wouldn't.

If you do hear back, tell them no partial refund is owed as they inspected the item prior to taking it but if they care to return it in the same condition it was sold, you will give them a full refund then as you don't mind getting them back, you believe you undersold them.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Springy ebay will not give a refund unless the item was paid for by paypal so they can get the money from the seller.  They would never hand over their own money for their precious MBG.

That is the beauty of cash on pickup....ebay and paypal cannot get their mitts on it in any way.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a listing removed because I stated PayPay would not be accepted.
After advising ebay of my concerns about possible buyer fraud I

received this reply... 

Hello Nickolas, 

Thanks for contacting eBay about the removed listing. 

I see that your intention to include your payment preference in the listing is because it is the most convenient way to pay local pick up items. I totally understand where you’re coming from as I am also a seller. 

Basically, our eBay Money Back Guarantee doesn’t cover local pick up items provided that the listing offers no other shipping option but local pick up only. I agree that sometimes, buyers will claim that they did not receive the item they paid. With this, we created a rule to help our sellers to be protected. For local pick up items, if the buyer paid through PayPal, they are obliged to pick the item right away or as soon as the seller provided an address where to pick the item. Seller needs to state the address through eBay messages for documentation. As long as there is a communication from the seller through eBay messages that they already informed the buyer where to pick the item, buyer is no longer covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee and PayPal Buyer Protection.

Basically, we cannot force our sellers to accept PayPal payments only. However, we also do not encourage them to directly state it in the listing as having this statement will affect buyer’s confidence and may discourage them to buy. 

You can still let your buyer know about your payment preferences by sending them message through eBay. This is the safest way for your listing not to be removed. You are very welcome to relist the item provided that you remove the phrase.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter. If you have other concern, please feel free to contact us.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply